Guest's cant ping to each other

GeeBee

Dec 27, 2015
Frankfurt (Germany)
Hey,

i'm just started with Proxmox and Virtualization in general and just encountered some issues about the networking. I installed Proxmox on my home server (G3260, P9D-C/4L, 16GB ECC RAM), and configured the following VM's:

1.) OPNsense
2.) OpenMediaVault
3.) Debian 8.x

I bound eth0 -> vmbr0, eth1 -> vmbr1 etc. and used Intel E1000 as NIC. OPNsense is doing a pretty good job for every other computer in the network, but it just's generates issues with the other guests.

I bound vmbr1 (WAN) and vmbr2 (LAN) to the OPNsense Instance, OpenMediaVault & Debian are using vmbr3 (but the issue is the same, even if there is only OMV). Sometime's I do get a connection to OPNsense, for some very confusing reason DHCP is sometimes working. But afterwards - nothing. Sometimes i can ping OPNsense but if it's working i have a very huge package loss (at least 50%). Ping to other machines in the network (e.g. my laptop) is working more fine but still not perfect. Connection to the Internet is also sometimes possible, but only when i'm able to ping the router (which is pretty logic).

Did I do some wrong configuration here? At least sometimes it's working.

Did somebody encountered similar problems and could help me to solve the problem?

Thank you so much,
Sebastian

Hey Q-Wulf,

thanks for your reply! Unfortunately i already deleted the OPNsense instance and tried pfSense which show's the exactly same behaviour. I will later on today or tomorrow do a reinstall and post the config then.

But to answer your question in general: vmbr1 was bound to eth1 which has been used as WAN with an empty configuration, because it got the WAN-IP via DHCP. VMBR2 which was bound to eth2 wasn't empty, i set the ip to 192.168.100.1 and subnet to 255.255.255.0. Later on, in OPNSense/pfSense, i configured the DHCP Server for 192.168.100.10-192.168.100.255 with Subnet 255.255.255.0. Was that wrong? I thought it's important to have a static ip because it was running a DHCP Server.

Best Regards,
Sebastian

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!