GTX 1050 Ti passthrough for Gaming / CUDA VM

tonny1521

Oct 10, 2021
I want to make a VM on my Proxmox Server (Dell PowerEdge R720) that handles some CUDA computing pools that I participate in, and remote gaming when I am not home. I have managed to get the device passed through with everything working, however I have some problems so far.

When using LatencyMon, I get peaks of 33K microseconds of latency between interrupts. I have enabled MSI based interrupts for all the NVIDIA based things (not the USB card I passed through though... could be the problem there now that i'm typing this).

The interesting thing is that CUDA performs great, but gaming performs great for only 30 seconds after loading the map. After then, any type of movement with the mouse freezes it until the mouse stops moving, even just for camera movement. Audio starts crackling too when that happens.

Do I need to enable HyperV enlightenments? I also would like to pin the CPU cores of this VM to physical ones so there is nothing else using the cores assigned to the VM. IO does not seem to be an issue here. The hardware should be capable (and I have configured it from going across NUMA nodes, plus the GPU is on the same CPU doing the VM computing work) so the other CPU is sitting there doing nothing, unless memory is stored over on the other CPU in which would cause lag with high memory usage.

Config.txt is my VM config under /etc/pve/qemu-server for this VM. Would there be any more I have to add to this to try and figure out why the mouse causes lag when moving?

Attachments

• config.txt
    661 bytes · Views: 10
Did you try to increase the MSI priority? There is also a tool to change it using a GUI.

I needed to increase it from normal to high or otherwise sound wasn't working at all or got out of sync.

Last edited:
Did you try to increase the MSI priority? There is also a tool to change it using a GUI.

I needed to increase it from normal to high or otherwise sound wasn't working at all or got out of sync.
I just tried this and it seems to have fixed it for now at least!
I also moved the VM to Windows Server 2022 and it seems to run a lot better than 19041.

I've fully fixed this, it was because of the age of the hardware. I recently got a B365M motherboard and am doing it on that, it worked flawlessly and faster on any version of Windows.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!