"GRUB error: failure reading sector ox4a5c from 'hd0'

Fiesta_Charles

Jan 13, 2020
Hi all,

Been beating my head against a wall over this all weekend, wondering if I'm missing something. I have an AMD Phenom 2 CPU and MSI 890FX motherboard (my previous gaming rig) that I wanted to repurpose for VM usage. Just found out about proxmox, got the latest 6.1 iso and flashed it to usb with Etcher using stock settings. I can't for the life of me get my machine to boot from the USB drive to get to the Proxmox installer screen. Each time I attempt to boot from USB I get: "GRUB error: failure reading sector 0x4a5c from 'hd0'. Entering rescue mode". This same message occurs no matter what boot media I use or SSD I use to plug into the motherboard on the PC. So I figure it isn't USB or SSD-specific, something more general must be happening. This PC installed Freenas (just to try it) as well as any Linux or Windows OS I've wanted without issue, ever, from a USB drive, but now this Proxmox thing is just a brick wall on this machine. This has also occured when trying to install 6.0. Should I use a an older 5.X version to try again?

I then inherited a slightly newer PC (960G series AMD chipset mobo w/ Phenom 2 cpu, new SSD) over the holidays and decided to pop the same USB drive into that machine instead, just to see if it would work. The Promox installer booted up immediately and showed me the options screen, just like that. So I'm very confused here. What would make proxmox fail to boot on my old motherboard and work flawlessly on a slightly newer one? Is there some weird BIOS setting I'm overlooking? I didn't go through the install process yet, but I'm surprised it came up without issue so easily on this other PC. If anyone has any ideas please let me know, otherwise I guess I'll need to swap CPU's and boards into my server chassis and rebuild the box entirely.....

Thank you

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!