GPU PCI passthrough

Nathaniel

May 8, 2016
Hey guys

I have a problem with the PCI passthrough function. I followed the steps from this tutorial (https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Pci_passthrough). I also tried to fix the problem by following the instructions from this video (
). Without any success.

First of all the system configuration:

HPE Server dl380 Gen 9
- CPU: 2x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2650 v4 @ 2.20GHz (2 Sockets)
- Kernel version: Linux 4.4.49-1-pve #1 SMP PVE 4.4.49-86
- PVE Manager version: pve-manager/4.4-13/7ea56165

The GPU i wanted to passthrough
- GPU: VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM204GL [Quadro M4000]
- Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GM204 High Definition Audio Controller

The VM is:
- Windows 2016 Server
- BIOS
- virtio disk

I started with the following steps:
1) nano /etc/default/grub
2) changed: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet"
3) to: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet intel_iommu=on"
4) update-grub

-- FULL SERVER RESTART --

--> i checked iommu with this (dmesg | grep -e DMAR -e IOMMU) command
--> positive feedback: [ 0.000000] DMAR: IOMMU enabled

5) add to /etc/modules
vfio
vfio_iommu_type1
vfio_pci
vfio_virqfd

->interrupt remapping is also supported
->iommu isolation is also ok.

6) lspci -n -s 84:00
Device and vendor ID:
->84:00.0 0300: 10de:13f1
->84:00.1 0403: 10de:0fbb

7) created the file with | nano /etc/modprobe.d/vfio.conf
->options vfio-pci ids=10de:13f1,10de:0fbb
8) blacklist drivers with | nano /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
blacklist radeon
blacklist nouveau
blacklist nvidia
9) and at the end i added this to the vm.conf file:
machine: q35
hostpci0: 01:00,pcie=1,x-vga=on

-- FULL SERVER RESTART --

10) i run the command | qm start 103

and the the and i get this disturbing error:

start failed: command '/usr/bin/kvm -id 101 -chardev 'socket,id=qmp,path=/var/run/qemu-server/101.qmp,server,nowait' -mon 'chardev=qmp,mode=control' -pidfile /var/run/qemu-server/101.pid -daemonize -smbios 'type=1,uuid=7a75586f-03c2-411f-ae90-1d5d0b05602d' -name windows-server -smp '36,sockets=2,cores=18,maxcpus=36' -nodefaults -boot 'menu=on,strict=on,reboot-timeout=1000,splash=/usr/share/qemu-server/bootsplash.jpg' -vga none -nographic -no-hpet -cpu 'kvm64,+lahf_lm,+sep,+kvm_pv_unhalt,+kvm_pv_eoi,hv_vendor_id=proxmox,hv_spinlocks=0x1fff,hv_vapic,hv_time,hv_reset,hv_vpindex,hv_runtime,hv_relaxed,enforce,kvm=off' -m 98304 -k de-ch -readconfig /usr/share/qemu-server/pve-q35.cfg -device 'usb-tablet,id=tablet,bus=ehci.0,port=1' -device 'vfio-pci,host=84:00.0,id=hostpci0.0,bus=ich9-pcie-port-1,addr=0x0.0,x-vga=on,multifunction=on' -device 'vfio-pci,host=84:00.1,id=hostpci0.1,bus=ich9-pcie-port-1,addr=0x0.1' -device 'virtio-balloon-pci,id=balloon0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x3' -iscsi 'initiator-name=iqn.1993-08.org.debian:01:9e8f9f4e242' -drive 'file=/dev/nasvmiso/template/iso/virtio-win-0.1.126.iso,if=none,id=drive-ide2,media=cdrom,aio=threads' -device 'ide-cd,bus=ide.1,unit=0,drive=drive-ide2,id=ide2,bootindex=200' -drive 'file=/dev/vmstorage/images/101/vm-101-disk-1.qcow2,if=none,id=drive-virtio0,format=qcow2,cache=none,aio=native,detect-zeroes=on' -device 'virtio-blk-pci,drive=drive-virtio0,id=virtio0,bus=pci.0,addr=0xa,bootindex=100' -netdev 'type=tap,id=net0,ifname=tap101i0,script=/var/lib/qemu-server/pve-bridge,downscript=/var/lib/qemu-server/pve-bridgedown' -device 'e1000,mac=72:02:24:04:AC:D5,netdev=net0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x12,id=net0,bootindex=300' -rtc 'driftfix=slew,base=localtime' -machine 'type=q35' -global 'kvm-pit.lost_tick_policy=discard'' failed: got timeout

I have no clue wats going on and why its not working correctly. I also got some errors at shutdown or with fstab (mount a nas). I am not happy at the the moment and hope for your help.

Thank you for your reply and ideas :)

Hey guys

8) blacklist drivers with | nano /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
blacklist radeon
blacklist nouveau
blacklist nvidia

Thank you for your reply and ideas :)

Not sure, but this might be missing:
8.1) "After following the instructions to blacklist video drivers in the Proxmox manual, I found I had to run
update-initramfs -u
in order for the blacklist to be applied."

thanx goes to NICK SHERLOCK BLOG, also you can read there about OSX, but exactly same goes for both! (WIN).

P.S. It's nice green smiley got partying in the middle of your error message... LOL

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!