Stone

Nov 18, 2016
Hi.

First of all thank you for this nice project but ich have some questions.

* There is a backup client for debian. Is there also one for Ubuntu or RPM based distros like RedHat and Windows?

* How can i see how much space a backup need? I see for a 20Gb VM in the PBS GUI that this VM needs 20Gb but i dont can trust them because i know that this VM is smaller then 5Gb. Is there a way to get a list of VMs and there needed space? Also for some incremental backup pieces?

* Is there a way to get a single file restore without the backup agent? Can i do a single file restore from a VM backup triggered from the proxmox server to the backup server?

Thank you.

* There is a backup client for debian. Is there also one for Ubuntu or RPM based distros like RedHat and Windows?
other distros are currently on the Roadmap. There is a community-maintained AUR for Arch, for others you would have to compile it yourself for now.

* How can i see how much space a backup need? I see for a 20Gb VM in the PBS GUI that this VM needs 20Gb but i dont can trust them because i know that this VM is smaller then 5Gb. Is there a way to get a list of VMs and there needed space? Also for some incremental backup pieces?
Since PBS uses deduplication... how would you define the size of a VM?
For example: You have 10 machines that all use the same 4.19.0-11-amd64 Kernel. PBS would only save that data once, all 10 machines would reference to the same chunks. When you want to calculate the size... would you add the amount of data needed for the kernel to each one of the 10 machines? Only counting it one time doesn't make sense either.
With a deduplication approach there is no space used per single backup, only space used over all backups combined.

* Is there a way to get a single file restore without the backup agent? Can i do a single file restore from a VM backup triggered from the proxmox server to the backup server?
Two options:
The simple one: No, only works with the backup agent.
The other one: You can restore your machine as a duplicate machine and move the restored disk over to your original VM. Then mount the disk in the original VM and copy your file over. Or you start up your 2nd copy and transfer it via network.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!