General advice for Proxmox build

RudeRubbish

Dec 7, 2016
Hi all, this is my first post here, and I hope it's OK that I'm posting a generic request for advice instead of posting a specific problem. I'm not a Proxmox user yet, but it does sound like a good solution for my purposes based on what I have read so far.

With AMD's Zen around the corner, I am getting ideas about what I might do with a crazy number of CPU cores. I am thinking that Proxmox might be a good solution for what I want to do, so I am here to seek advice.
I am looking to build a computer for use as a multi-seat workstation. I would like to have my host be some very stripped down OS (as close to "bare metal" as possible), and exclusively do all my work and play in various virtual machines. I am also intrigued by the concept of using dockers, but that is something I know even less about. I want to run 3 OSs, at least one of which will be Windows 10, and at least one of which will be some flavor of Linux.

My essential requirements are:

1. Pass-through of USB, video, audio, and network devices, such that I have a keyboard, mouse, and monitor bound to each OS.

2. Easy and fast access to shared storage from all devices.

3. Seamless copy-paste between OSs

4. Seamless boot- When I turn on the machine, all VMs are launched.

5. Better than 90% native performance (including for gaming).

Is this doable with Proxmox?

From what I've read so far, my thinking is to set it up like this:

- 8 core CPU, server board, three video cards of different types (one nice and two cheap), one PCI audio card, USB card with multiple controllers, lots of RAM

- Proxmox on an M.2 drive, managing VMs stored on VM-dedicated SSDs within a ZFS pool.

- Data, Dropbox etc all in one shared ZFS pool on large mechanical drives, accessible to all OSs at all times.

- A Windows 10 VM (for data science, media and a little gaming), a work Linux VM (for data science), and a Linux VM specifically for web browsing.

- The Windows 10 VM uses the nice video card, the PCI audio card, and its own network controller and usb controllers.

- The work Linux VM uses a cheap video card, no audio, and its own network and USB controllers

- The web browsing Linux VM uses a cheap video card and on-board audio.

- Apps on OS-dedicated SSDs, files in shared

Anyway, I'm open to suggestions regarding all my choices: hardware, virtualization solutions, file system choice etc. I'm also curious what people think will be the main hurdles (I'm particularly worried about the audio, multiple USB keyboards, VMs getting corrupted, and syncing problems).

Any advice or relevant experience people can share would be greatly appreciated.

Hmmm.. Virtualbox doesnt have the greatest performance though, I'd really like to be as close to "bare metal" as possible. I want some form of Linux as my host, but I'd rather not have any GUI in the host OS in order to save resources. I also don't want Linux audio to touch my sound. I want no audio hardware assigned to the host OS and only to the Windows guest.

Last edited:
Maybe you should have a look at Linus tech tips 7 Gamers - one PC built which shows a setup similar to yours.

From a technically standpoint, your requirements are nice, but I would not want to built or administer such a system in real live. I'd go with 3 machines instead of one big machine.

Maybe you're also better off with Windows 10 Pro as your host and then docker or hyper-v for non-docker-able machines. Less overhead and dead simple.

Reactions: RudeRubbish
I like that idea a lot. The two gamers, one tower setup from the earlier video looks like what I want, except for instead of two gamers, I have a work desk and a play desk. I currently use unRaid for my home media server, and I do really like it. However, the idea of using a ZFS pool to store all my VMs is really appealing. Would Proxmox not be a good alternative to unRaid for this type of setup due to its being network oriented?

unRaid supports BRTFS, which works also OK for non-RAID5 environments. Linus uses that also, doesn't he? I'd stick to unRaid for your build which is proven to work.

Proxmox VE is mainly a server virtualization without PCIe-passthrough stuff (it is technically possible, but the main focus in on server virtualization, not high performance desktop virtualization).

Reactions: RudeRubbish

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!