Fresh setup - cant update pve-manager

yena

Renowned Member
Nov 18, 2011
On a Fresh setup, single server ext4, pve-no-subscript.
Can't update:

pve-manager is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Y
Setting up pve-manager (4.4-13) ...
Job for pvedaemon.service failed. See 'systemctl status pvedaemon.service' and 'journalctl -xn' for details.
dpkg: error processing package pve-manager (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
pve-manager
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Apr 04 20:32:10 fotoexpo3 pvedaemon[2546]: BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/API2.pm line 13.
Apr 04 20:32:10 fotoexpo3 pvedaemon[2546]: Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/Service/pvedaemon.pm line 8.
Apr 04 20:32:10 fotoexpo3 pvedaemon[2546]: BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/Service/pvedaemon.pm line 8.
Apr 04 20:32:10 fotoexpo3 pvedaemon[2546]: Compilation failed in require at /usr/bin/pvedaemon line 11.
Apr 04 20:32:10 fotoexpo3 pvedaemon[2546]: BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/bin/pvedaemon line 11.
Apr 04 20:32:10 fotoexpo3 systemd[1]: pvedaemon.service: control process exited, code=exited status=2
Apr 04 20:32:10 fotoexpo3 systemd[1]: Failed to start PVE API Daemon.
-- Subject: Unit pvedaemon.service has failed
-- Defined-By: systemd
-- Support: http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/systemd-devel
--
-- Unit pvedaemon.service has failed.
--
-- The result is failed.
Apr 04 20:32:10 fotoexpo3 systemd[1]: Unit pvedaemon.service entered failed state.

------------------------------------------------------

Tried to reinstall:

Setting up pve-manager (4.4-13) ...
Can't locate PVE/RESTEnvironment.pm in @INC (you may need to install the PVE::RESTEnvironment module) (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.20.2 /usr/local/share/perl/5.20.2 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl5/5.20 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.20 /usr/share/perl/5.20 /usr/local/lib/site_perl) at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/RPCEnvironment.pm line 6.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/RPCEnvironment.pm line 6.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/CLI/pveam.pm line 12.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/CLI/pveam.pm line 12.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/bin/pveam line 6.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/bin/pveam line 6.
Job for pvedaemon.service failed. See 'systemctl status pvedaemon.service' and 'journalctl -xn' for details.
dpkg: error processing package pve-manager (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Processing triggers for systemd (215-17+deb8u6) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
pve-manager
-----------------------------------------------

Clean procedure doasn't help:

cd /var/lib/apt
mv lists lists.old
mkdir -p lists/partial
apt-get clean
apt-get update
----------------------------------------

Thanks

Last edited:
sorry to resurrect an old thread, but i'm having the same issue on a fresh install of 5.3-9, and i have removed the enterprise repo. any thoughts?

sorry to resurrect an old thread, but i'm having the same issue on a fresh install of 5.3-9, and i have removed the enterprise repo. any thoughts?
Hi,
the trick is not only remove the enterprise repo, but add the pve-no-subscription list too:
Code:
cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pve-no-subscription.list
deb http://download.proxmox.com/debian/pve stretch pve-no-subscription
"apt update && apt dist-upgrade" should then do the "magic".

Udo

udo, thanks. thats the exact first steps i took upon fresh install 'cp pve-enterprise.list pve-no-subscription.list' then 'apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade -y' and still seeing errors.

something must be getting through though because this all came about when i was trying to add the turnkey linux templates and they are now showing in my template list so this all may be for not, but it bugs me to leave something undone.

apt commands complete successfully, the 'pveam update' command fails with the same errors as OP posted. Seems like something to do with Perl, maybe?

root@pve:/# pveam update
Can't locate PVE/I18N.pm in @INC (you may need to install the PVE::I18N module) (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.24.1 /usr/local/share/perl/5.24.1 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl5/5.24 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.24 /usr/share/perl/5.24 /usr/local/lib/site_perl /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl-base) at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/APLInfo.pm line 6.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/APLInfo.pm line 6.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/CLI/pveam.pm line 7.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/CLI/pveam.pm line 7.

apt commands complete successfully, the 'pveam update' command fails with the same errors as OP posted. Seems like something to do with Perl, maybe?

root@pve:/# pveam update
Can't locate PVE/I18N.pm in @INC (you may need to install the PVE::I18N module) (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.24.1 /usr/local/share/perl/5.24.1 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl5/5.24 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.24 /usr/share/perl/5.24 /usr/local/lib/site_perl /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl-base) at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/APLInfo.pm line 6.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/APLInfo.pm line 6.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/CLI/pveam.pm line 7.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/CLI/pveam.pm line 7.
Hi,
how looks the output of following commands?
Code:
pveversion -v
dpkg -l | grep pve
Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!