Fresh Proxmox 3.0 install fails to boot sun x4170m2

evilbob

Apr 10, 2013
Hi everyone,
Looking for some help or advice. I have a Oracle Sun x4170 m2 server with an LSI raid card. I want to use proxmox on this beast.

When I boot the proxmox cd I get to the screen where I can enter boot paramaters If I hit enter I get a wavy white screen not good. I have found that a boot paramater of :linux noacpi edd=off" will allow me to install proxmox without any further issues.

The Bad part is after the install upon reboot I get a black screen that says
"welcome to grub" and then it just flashes the "_" character below the message. So I boot off the CD again and issue a pveboot and a Ctl D when needed. The system starts up fine I can access the web interface and make VM's I cannot boot without the CD though.

To debug a little further I modified the /etc/default/grub file and removed the "quiet" option. now when I boot I get the grub menu. when I choose proxmox from the grub menu it gets to this point.
Code:
Begin: Running /scripts/init-bottom ... mount: mounting /dev/ on /root/dev failed: no such file or directory
I am then dropped into a busybox shell

More info from within busybox
if I do a mount command I get this list
Code:
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,realtime)
proc on /proc type proc (same as sys)
udev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,realtime,size=10240k,nr_inodes=9275273,mode=755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,realtime,gid=5)
dev/disk/by-uuid/deeb66*restof uuid* on /root type ext3

Looking at blkid shows that the uuid deeb66* is my sda1 or my /boot partition why is it mounting it on /root?
blkid shows sda2 but it's not mounted anywhere (this should be my root, swap, and data LVM) type is LVM2_member

if I type "lvm" and do a lvdisplay it shows all my volumes like it should.

My guess is that grub is having some kind of issue mounting the LVM stuff.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Still working on this. I reviewing my dmesg and noticed the following.

"Target filesystem doesn't have requested /sbin/init no init found. try passing init= bootarg"
I'm not sure what to do with that

I checked the permissions on my initrd image and verified that it was in /boot
I added insmod=lvm to my /etc/default/grub file to make sure it has the LVM kernel module

I am really out of Ideas now. I think I am going to try to reinstall using a proxmox ve 2.3 cd instead of 3.0. If that works I'll try to upgrade it to 3.0 using the script.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!