firewall not working on vm with firewall=1 on nic and fw on in firewall -> options

mathx

Renowned Member
Jan 15, 2014
Set "firewall on" on in the vm Firewall -> Options tab, and in Hardware -> NIC, and restarted VM. no go. dont see any rules in iptables -L or iptables-save. I do see rules in /etc/pve/firewall/100.fw. Pve-firewall stop && start doesnt work however.

running pve-manager/3.4-6/102d4547 (running kernel: 2.6.32-39-pve)

hints?

(furthermore, manually adding rules to iptables doenst seem to work either, neither in forward or input/output chains, am i missing something about the VM networking model? does the bridge bypass the host? the rules arent interface specific.)

Last edited:
Re: firewall not working on vm with firewall=1 on nic and fw on in firewall -> option

Thanks!! Wow that's buried. Didnt think to look there. Esp when you hit the Firewall tab and it shows an empty list, and the tabs are at bottom (not anywhere near the top where Im clicking on my giant monitor :) ) - 2nd row of tabs would be more obvious for sub options.What's the diff between the *3* levels of firewalling, conceptually?

Last edited:
Re: firewall not working on vm with firewall=1 on nic and fw on in firewall -> option

uh turning on the firewall blocks :8006 webconsole?

uh turning on the firewall blocks :8006 webconsole?
Just had the same experience - locked myself out. Now I need to find out where the config files sit, restart my remote proxmoxVE from a rescue console.
Great learning curve :) This really should become part of the wiki => https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Proxmox_VE_Firewall

Yes, the firewall config is super confusing, and the wiki hardly helps because there are in fact three places in which the firewall can be enabled, so saying things like "enable the firewall" is misleading without saying where need to enable it. Get it wrong and you're locked out.

At very least, the wiki page should say "Do not enable the firewall at the node (top) level without setting the default rules to ACCEPT first. Doing so will lock you out!"

Yes, the firewall config is super confusing, and the wiki hardly helps because there are in fact three places in which the firewall can be enabled, so saying things like "enable the firewall" is misleading without saying where need to enable it. Get it wrong and you're locked out.

At very least, the wiki page should say "Do not enable the firewall at the node (top) level without setting the default rules to ACCEPT first. Doing so will lock you out!"

You can improve the wiki, just register yourself and add your content.

We try to make the firewall easy, but yes, in the first run its not that easy to get into it as there are multiple levels and places. But this makes it distributed and super flexible and after you got it into your brain, you will love it. At least, this was my personal experience with the firewall.

I am about to open my own thread with all my firewall related questions. If I get replies and figure it out, I will update the wiki.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!