firewall blacklist not applying to VMs

Faris Raouf

Mar 19, 2018
I'm experiencing a problem with the blacklist IPSet - I can't seem to make it apply to VMs.

As I understand it from the documentation, in general, Firewall rules configured at the Datacentre level will apply to all Nodes, but won't apply to VMs.

One exception is that an IPSet called blacklist will apply to all Nodes and to all VMs

Is this right? If it is, then I'm doing something wrong, because while I can get a blacklist IPSet to apply perfectly well to Nodes, it doesn't seem to apply to VMs running on the nodes.

I'm wondering if I've missed a step, or an item in the documentation, that might explain it?

The test setup is as follows:
Proxmox 5.1-41

At the Datacentre level:
Firewall enabled
policy_in changed to ALLOW (just for testing purposes to prevent lockouts)

An IPSet called blacklist (all lower case) is manually created, then 192.168.1.16 added to it.

Still at the Datacentre level, I added a firewall rule: Direction IN, Action DROP, (and then I select +blacklist from the Source dropdown.

The above rule is then moved to below a "GROUP management" rule item, which allows 192.168.1.10 (admin PC, in case I lock myself out despite my other precautions).

For testing, I created a VM on 192.168.1.60 on Node 192.168.1.100.

From 192.168.1.16, I can ping and SSH to the VM at 192.168.1.60, but can't see the node at 192.168.1.100 at all.

On removing 192.168.1.16 from the blacklist IPSet, I can then ping and ssh to 192.168.1.100.

So obviously the IP is in the blacklist correctly, and it is applying to the Node. It just isn't applying to the VM.

I'm currently using Bridged networking. Does this make a difference?
Initially I had the Firewall at the VM level disabled. I thought maybe that was the problem, but enabling it made no difference.
The Firewall is Enabled at the Node level.

Obviously I'm testing from and to IP that are all within the local network, rather than outside. I can see how that might have an impact, except that the blacklist did work by blocking access to the Node.

Any suggestions/pointers/clarifications would be very much appreciated! I'm sure I'm just doing something stupid, but I don't know what it is :)

Here's the actual cluster.fw file contents:

[OPTIONS]

enable: 1
policy_in: ACCEPT

[IPSET blacklist] # Applies to all

192.168.1.16 # test blacklist source

[RULES]

GROUP management
IN DROP -source +blacklist

[group management] # Management

IN ACCEPT -source 192.168.1.10 # Allow one machine to get in in case of trouble!

Arrgh! I think I have it working now.

I found a post here from someone who could not get a VM firewall working at all. The response was "Did you enable the Firewall in networking for the VM?"

So I went hunting, found there was no tick in the box, ticked it and BOOM, everything works as it should now, I think.

So....WHY is there a hidden tick box under networking that's so easy to miss? Why doesn't enabling the Firewall for the VM automatically enable that tick box? It seems really strange to me. Is there a reason?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!