[SOLVED] Fingerprint suddenly not valid

May 20, 2017
Netherlands
cyberfusion.io
Both my PMG clusters are in a 'strange' state. I have two completely separate PMG clusters and they are both complaining about the same fingerprint:

fingerprint 'C2:DB:59:C8:1F:C4:C4:8E:50:1D:6F:9C:4B:B1:4F:CF:8A:B5:9B:BA:46:78:E4:EB:B5:5E:38:AC:62:90:7D:9A' not verified, abort!

I do not know where this fingerprint comes from. I grepped through /root, /etc/ssh and /etc/pmg, but this fingerprint is nowhere to be found. It is not a fingerprint associated with any of my nodes either.

I emptied `/etc/ssh/ssh_known_hosts2` and `/root/.ssh/known_hosts`, re-added host keys and am able to SSH from and to both nodes.

Why is this happening?

Last edited:
did you change the/some certificate of PMG inside the cluster?

where exactly do you see the messages?
I think the messages relates most likely to the pinned fingerprint in pmg's cluster.conf ('/etc/pmg/cluster.conf')

it should not have anything to do with ssh host keys

I hope this helps!

did you change the/some certificate of PMG inside the cluster?

Yes. Certificates (/etc/pmg/pmg-api.pem and /etc/pmg/pmg-tls.pem) have been renewed and updated.

where exactly do you see the messages?

Upon logging in.

I think the messages relates most likely to the pinned fingerprint in pmg's cluster.conf ('/etc/pmg/cluster.conf')

I do not see this fingerprint in /etc/pmg/cluster.conf . Where should I change the fingerprint?

Also, does this mean manual intervention is required every single time the SSL certificate used by PMG is updated?

Last edited:
via ssh? or via GUI?
(could you post a session-log or a screenshot)?
Via GUI. See attachment.

And in `pmgcm status` as well:

Code:
proot@mgw0-0:~# pmgcm status
NAME(CID)--------------IPADDRESS----ROLE-STATE---------UPTIME---LOAD----MEM---DISK
mgw0-0(1)            $ipremoved master S   57 days 12:40   0.17    62%    38%
mgw0-1(2)            $ipremoved node   ERROR: fingerprint 'C2:DB:59:C8:1F:C4:C4:8E:50:1D:6F:9C:4B:B1:4F:CF:8A:B5:9B:BA:46:78:E4:EB:B5:5E:38:AC:62:90:7D:9A' not verified, abort!                -      -     -%     -%

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2020-02-25 om 13.23.15.png
    Schermafbeelding 2020-02-25 om 13.23.15.png
    54.1 KB · Views: 48
hmm - I think that's the fingerprint of your current /etc/pmg/pmg-api.pem
check with: `openssl x509 -in /etc/pmg/pmg-api.pem -fingerprint -noout -sha256`

if yes - you need to add that to the cluster.conf

hmm - I think that's the fingerprint of your current /etc/pmg/pmg-api.pem
check with: `openssl x509 -in /etc/pmg/pmg-api.pem -fingerprint -noout -sha256`

if yes - you need to add that to the cluster.conf
Yes, that was the issue. I fixed it. Thank you.

What should I do differently when I replace SSL certificates in the future? Should I always manually update `cluster.conf`?

What should I do differently when I replace SSL certificates in the future? Should I always manually update `cluster.conf`?
currently this is the way to go - it will always need to be a dedicated manual step - since the cluster.conf is the trust-anchor for clustercommunication.

Glad that works out for you - please mark the thread as 'SOLVED' - it will help others with a similar issue

Thanks!

@wiliam halo william would you like to tell me how to fix them, I have some issue with fingerprint on my pmg.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!