Filtering receipt requests

tdemeyer

Oct 2, 2007
Hi,
Just started evaluating proxmox Vm-ware.

Our older mail gateway filtered (or never generated) return receipt request, whereas I noticed proxmox does generate them. Our gateway is inbound only, and not allowed to send out mails, so the return receipts are stuck in the outbound queue.

How to avoid this??

Tim

Hi,
Just started evaluating proxmox Vm-ware.

Our older mail gateway filtered (or never generated) return receipt request, whereas I noticed proxmox does generate them. Our gateway is inbound only, and not allowed to send out mails, so the return receipts are stuck in the outbound queue.

How to avoid this??

Tim

Hi Tim,
I do not clearly understand what you mean, please describe the wanted functionalty - who generate the email, which queue do you mean?

Outbound messages

Hi Tom,

Our proxmox is configured to process inbound (from internet) messages only. So the firewall doesn't allow outgoing SMTP for proxmox.

I noticed that there are a lot of messages queued (administration/queues/mail) for domains other than ours. They are deffered because there is no outbound connection possible for the proxmox gateway.

Since our own mailserver never relays messages through proxmox, these mails must have been generated bij proxmox itself. I presume these are all "return receipt request" - messages that are sent back to the originator to inform him the message has been delivered.

We block such messages (even on our mail server), as they can be used for spammers as proof a mailbox exists...

Hi Tom,

Our proxmox is configured to process inbound (from internet) messages only. So the firewall doesn't allow outgoing SMTP for proxmox.

I noticed that there are a lot of messages queued (administration/queues/mail) for domains other than ours. They are deffered because there is no outbound connection possible for the proxmox gateway.

Since our own mailserver never relays messages through proxmox, these mails must have been generated bij proxmox itself. I presume these are all "return receipt request" - messages that are sent back to the originator to inform him the message has been delivered.

We block such messages (even on our mail server), as they can be used for spammers as proof a mailbox exists...

Hi,

Please take a look into such an email in detail and we will see who generates it. log in to the console and you will find the email queue in the filesystem,

/var/spool/postfix/defer

Under de /defer directory, there are folders named 0-9 and A-F

If I change into e.g. A, there is a file AD67884982.
Contents of this file:

jqvfd@fsuimail.ferris.edu: lost connection with fsumsg6.ferris.edu[161.57.5.84] while sending RCPT TO
recipient= jqvfd@fsuimail.ferris.edu
offset=178
status=4.4.2
action=delayed
resaon=lost connection with fsumsg6.ferris.edu[161.57.5.84] while sending RCPT TO

other files in other folders are similar...

Under de /defer directory, there are folders named 0-9 and A-F

If I change into e.g. A, there is a file AD67884982.
Contents of this file:

jqvfd@fsuimail.ferris.edu: lost connection with fsumsg6.ferris.edu[161.57.5.84] while sending RCPT TO
recipient= jqvfd@fsuimail.ferris.edu
offset=178
status=4.4.2
action=delayed
resaon=lost connection with fsumsg6.ferris.edu[161.57.5.84] while sending RCPT TO

other files in other folders are similar...

Hi,
I am sorry, i gave you the wrong dir.
the deferred queue is here:
/var/spool/postfix/deferred/
here you can find the emails.

I assume Proxmox receives emails to non-existing users and your internal mail server does not accepts them. therefore proxmox tries to inform the sender. As these are mostly spammers, the do not accept these mails and therefore they are stucked in the queue (for max. 5 days, then they will ).

You can configure Proxmox to use receiver verification on smtp level. therefore senders to non-existing users get´s an 450 temp. failure.
Please see the deployment guide how to configure.

Or you configure your internal mail server to accept all mails from proxmox and never send a NDR back.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!