Feature Request Multi Cluster Migration

C

Chris Rivera

I currently have 3 datacenters with 3 clusters running. Sometimes we have client who request one data center who wish to be migrated to another data center. How can this be done easily?

Is it possible to migrate a vm from one cluster to another and have the vmid updated? - i understand that ip will need to be updated but this can be done manually at this point.

Is it possible for you to build in a feature that allowed us to choose migrate > then choose local cluster: node or fill out the ip to new cluster or direct node which we'd like to migrate the vm to? - live migration obviously would be out of the question and is not required... just the ability to easily migrate vms from cluster to cluster is required.

Im aware this can be done via command line... but is it possible to have this functionality built into the web interface?

I can do the command line backup .... transfer than restore... but other staff members are only capable of using the web interface for security purposes...

Can this be done in a future release?

backup and restore (with vzdump) is already on the gui.

Tom... you mind reading my original post?

I currently have 3 datacenters with 3 clusters running. Sometimes we have client who request one data center who wish to be migrated to another data center. How can this be done easily?

Is it possible to migrate a vm from one cluster to another and have the vmid updated? - i understand that ip will need to be updated but this can be done manually at this point.

Is it possible for you to build in a feature that allowed us to choose migrate > then choose local cluster: node or fill out the ip to new cluster or direct node which we'd like to migrate the vm to? - live migration obviously would be out of the question and is not required... just the ability to easily migrate vms from cluster to cluster is required.

This would be a great addition to the Web Interface

Tom... you mind reading my original post?

I did this already.

with backup and restore, as described.

This would be a great addition to the Web Interface

I doubt that is a heavy requested feature - In fact you are the first one requesting this. But you can contact our devs via office@ for the development of such a custom functionality - but note, I am pretty sure they will ask you to pay the development.

Thanks for the follow up, Tom.

Since this is not possible without custom coding, which i do not want to get into, is there any other way we can achieve this?

Could i have all 3 clusters all as 1 cluster using Virtual Private Network (VPN)? Will this give me the ability to migrate a vm from one data center to another?

As we build out our massive cloud build out and get over 10 data centers across the world we would need to be able to make the migration process as easy as possible without command line interaction.

Last edited by a moderator:
I already told you the way - backup/restore, available on CLI and GUI.

If you want something else someone needs to develop it for you and of course, someone have to pay the work. most times the guy who benefits from the work should pay it - you.

Let start off by saying i did not like your last response. "I already told you the way - backup/restore, available on CLI and GUI. "

1. "i already told you" is not how you speak to someone. I am asking a question and am trying to be as clear as possible so if i ask more than once in a different way sorry

2. you cannot back up and restore a ct or vm to a different cluster via GUI (which is my question, not how to backup and restore)... your advice to use custom coding is taken, but not an option our end. We don't want to have issues with updating proxmox to later versions losing any paid for customization or have having conflicts or other issues arise as you guys continue to develop your tool / application.

3.1 - Is it not possible for you to join multiple clusters in different data centers using VPN.. If I were to set up a vpn and have all the clusters using a private internal ip addresses could this be done?

3.2. If we can use VPN to connect the clusters to act as 1 cluster than migration between data centers should be possible.... or am i wrong about this assumption?

From my view there are many different ways to conquer the objective, getting it done without CLI intervention is the solution i am looking for

Create VPN between data centers. Create storage that is available on all servers (ie NFS server on VPN). Do a backup to storage and restore VM where you want.

thanks snowman66

Ill start working on the vpn access.

Let start off by saying i did not like your last response. "I already told you the way - backup/restore, available on CLI and GUI. "

As you already get the answer twice so asking again the same is more or less useless. I am sorry that you don´t like the answer but asking again will not change it.

1. "i already told you" is not how you speak to someone. I am asking a question and am trying to be as clear as possible so if i ask more than once in a different way sorry

2. you cannot back up and restore a ct or vm to a different cluster via GUI (which is my question, not how to backup and restore)... your advice to use custom coding is taken, but not an option our end. We don't want to have issues with updating proxmox to later versions losing any paid for customization or have having conflicts or other issues arise as you guys continue to develop your tool / application.

Any code added will be released under aGPLv3, so no commercial addons here. if the code does not fit to the rest it will not be accepted by the project leader.

3.1 - Is it not possible for you to join multiple clusters in different data centers using VPN.. If I were to set up a vpn and have all the clusters using a private internal ip addresses could this be done?

3.2. If we can use VPN to connect the clusters to act as 1 cluster than migration between data centers should be possible.... or am i wrong about this assumption?

No, this will not work reliable and do not see an easy way here.

From my view there are many different ways to conquer the objective, getting it done without CLI intervention is the solution i am looking for

Again, if you want a feature it needs to be developed. Either you do it by your own or someone else can do it - in any case, the developments needs to be paid and so far you are the only who benefits from this so I suggest you think again about what I offered here.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!