Failure to set VLAN config

samontetro

Jun 19, 2012
Grenoble, France
Hi,
I am unable to setup a VLAN config on PVE 4.4. My error should be simple but I do not find it!

Context: 3 node cluster, node-3 only running a VM for testing the VLAN setup.

The running config:
On node-3 I have vmbr9 bridged on eth9.
VM103
on node-3 is VirtIO connected on vmbr9
The IP of this VM is in my VLAN 331
Switch port is:
interface Te1/0/26
switchport access vlan 331

Now I need to mix several VLAN en eth9 so:

On node-3 I create vmbr331 and set bridge ports to eth9.331.
I do not remove vmbr9.
I check "autostart" and reboot the node.
Network of VM103 on node-3 is changed to bridge vmbr331 which is now active.
I set my switch port to trunk mode:
interface Te1/0/26
switchport trunk allowed vlan 311,331
I restart VM103 to be sure my setup is loaded.

Network doesn't work.

Any help is welcome...

Patrick

Hi,

do not create extra bridges, this will be done by Proxmox VE.
Add only the VLAN in the guest nic and all other settings will be done automatic.

You can also use vlan_awarness on the vmbr to increase the performance and reduce the extra bridges.

Thanks Wolfgang for your answer.
I saw this new checkbox since proxmox4 but I do not understand clearly what it is and how to use it. Is there some detailed info about this ? I search for with the "vlan" keyword in the documentation (pdf) and look at the wiki but do not find help so I fallback to what I was doing with proxmox3.

Is it enought to set vmbr9 to "VLAN aware" on the node and set a VLAN tag for the net0 device in the VM network description ?

Patrick

Is it enought to set vmbr9 to "VLAN aware" on the node and set a VLAN tag for the net0 device in the VM network description ?
Yes

Vlan awareness enables VLan on a Linux bridge. Before you had to setup a VLan dev with a bridge on top like you did before.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!