failed to create RPC listeners

grasp

Aug 3, 2016
Hello,

I had an nfs share mounted and it seems that I created a new share, deleted the old shared folder, connected the new one successfully, but maybe I forgot to unmount the old one. Now I successfully unmounted the old one but for some reason my /var/log/syslog is still showing this error about every 42ms:

Version 1.2.8 starting
Flags: TI-RPC
failed to create RPC listeners, exiting

service nfs-kernel-server restart did not help, service does not start.

I use local storage and have only 2 hosts offering each other nfs shares for backup. Both had the issue.

VH1

/etc/exports
[...]
/volumes/vm1/bak4vh2 192.168.254.252(rw,sync,anonuid=1000,anongid=1000)
[...]

/etc/pve/storage.cfg
[...]
nfs: bak1OnVH2
path /mnt/pve/bak1OnVH2
export /volumes/vm1/bak4vh1
server 192.168.254.252
content backup
maxfiles 3
options vers=3
[...]

VH2

/etc/exports
[...]
/volumes/vm1/bak4vh1 192.168.254.251(rw,sync,anonuid=1000,anongid=1000)
[...]

/etc/pve/storage.cfg
[...]
nfs: bak1OnVH1
path /mnt/pve/bak1OnVH1
export /volumes/vm1/bak4vh2
server 192.168.254.251
content backup
maxfiles 3
options vers=3
[...]

I cleaned up the old entries on both servers and restarted VH2. Now on VH2 everything is OK except mounting from VH1 (this is due to nfs not starting on VH1). I think that this error caused the Web-GUI login to fail. Now it's working again on VH2 (nfs server ok, login ok) but not on VH1 (maybe it needs a reboot). I cannot restart VH1 now. Is there a way to solve this problem without rebooting VH1?

Many thanks

try
service rpcbind restart
and then
service nfs-kernel-server restart

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!