Extend the 3.4 Support Lifecycle

thesubmitter

Jun 5, 2012
Hi,

Do you have any statistics on people with 3.4 setups vs 4.x setups?
The 3.4 setup is working fine and Debian is support wheezy for a few more years.

For "enterprise" type workloads especially ones where the major underlying tech is changing I feel like this is a really short lifecycle.

I don't wnat to be forced to move to something while what I have works fine.

(I searched and found no other threads on the topic)

Hi,

Do you have any statistics on people with 3.4 setups vs 4.x setups?
The 3.4 setup is working fine and Debian is support wheezy for a few more years.

Debian Security Teams stopped Wheezy support in April 2016. Only for SOME packages, there is LTS support (from 26th April 2016 to 31st May 2018), with limited resoures due to obvious reasons. In fact, most people are working on getting Debian Stretch ready, so the interest in fixing someting in old distributions in totally minimized.

For "enterprise" type workloads especially ones where the major underlying tech is changing I feel like this is a really short lifecycle.

Proxmox VE follows a rolling release distribution, so just run latest version. Also in place distribution upgrades are supported.

I don't wnat to be forced to move to something while what I have works fine.

(I searched and found no other threads on the topic)

I agree that that 3.4 is working great. But there is a number of growing unfixed security issues in Wheezy. So far there is no plan to extend the extended support time for 3.4, see also:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Category:proxmox_VE_3.x

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!