extend pve 4.2 with raid6

Mr.Gosh

Jan 5, 2016
i installed a second server next to our old pve 4.1 machine for extended testing of cluster systems.

to achive that i installed pve on a ssd and after isntallation and setup I created a raid6 via mdadm out of 5 3tb hdds.

i mounted these into /var/lib/vz - to be able to move the .qcow2 storage vms from our old (4.1) machine over to this one...

Is there a problem with this setup?
Is there a possibility to use thios storage for .qcow2 AND thin lvm?

...or should we create an lvm on the raid6 to be able to use thin lvm next to .qcow2?

Last edited:
Hi,

This setup is ok.
If you like to use ThinLVM and Qcow2,
then create a VG on top this md-raid and make a separate lv for /var/lib/vz and one for LVM-Thin.

Reactions: Mr.Gosh
worked well, at first i created a volumegroup that owns the whole raid6:
Code:
vgcreate pve-raid /dev/md0

than I created a logical volume for the qcow2 based VMs using 50% of the space:
Code:
lvcreate -l50%VG -n data pve-raid

than I created a logical volume that used 50% of the volumegroup for the thin-lvm:
Code:
lvcreate -l50%VG --thinpool thin-pool pve-raid

than I created an ext4 filesystem on "data":
Code:
mkfs.ext4 /dev/pve-raid/data

after that i mounted the "data" pool somewhere to copy the present filestructure from /var/lib/vz over to the new filesystem:
Code:
mount /dev/pve-raid/data /mnt/raid6/
cp -Rp /var/lib/vz/* /mnt/raid6/
mount /dev/pve-raid/data /var/lib/vz
umount /mnt/raid6

than i added the raid to the fstab and let it mount:
Code:
printf "\n/dev/pve-raid/data   /var/lib/vz   ext4   defaults   0   2\n" >> /etc/fstab
mount -a

I checked if everythign seems fine:
Code:
mount
ls -lah /var/lib/vz
df -h
PLEASE DO MORE TESTING!!!
but if you see the "LOST+FOUND" Folder you look are looking to the new storage... ;-)

and umounted the itermediate mountpoint:
Code:
umount /mnt/raid6

I am happy with this solution... "lvdisplay" gives me two new volumes I can work with - everythign else can be done through the webinterface...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!