Experience connecting OVS to SDN controller in Proxmox ?

Jan 20, 2016
Hello,

I am new to Proxmox and to this forum. I would like to ask a question as I have not been able to find a solution anywhere in the forum.

I would like to know if someone has already tried connecting an Open VSwitch running in Proxmox to a controller talking OpenFlow to the OpenvSwitch. Indeed, I am interested in dynamic management through a controller, and I have read that it was sometimes quite tricky to get OVS to be configured in Proxmox, thus my question.

Thanks in advance for your answer,

I would like to know if someone has already tried connecting an Open VSwitch running in Proxmox to a controller talking OpenFlow to the OpenvSwitch. Indeed, I am interested in dynamic management through a controller, and I have read that it was sometimes quite tricky to get OVS to be configured in Proxmox, thus my question.

As far as it is content of the actual ovs implementation it is also available in Proxmox (after installing openvswitch-switch), but note

https://github.com/openvswitch/ovs/blob/master/OPENFLOW-1.1+.md

To the OP, I'm with you on getting an SDN controller hooked into OVS that's supporting a Proxmox cluster. I'm thinking the best bet is to download an ODL controller and give it a whirl. That's what I am going to do. To get to looking at things quickly, I'm going to see if I can get a copy of brocade's or some other 3rd party's ODL based controller and have a go at it.

This is very interesting area for the future of Proxmox VE network model using OpenvSwitch.

By the way, when Open vSwitch will be included as a standard package inside Proxmox VE ? (without the need to manually install the package "openvswitch-switch" ).

If ODL (OpenDaylight Project) as SDN controller can be used in some kind of cluster (on all Proxmox VE nodes) in at least Active/Standby mode, it will be a great thing to work with.

By this i mean one (redundant) place to configure all networks, rules (and more), shared among all Proxmox VE nodes and finally visible on all Virtual Machines/LXC-s in Proxmox VE Cluster.

Also, when i get some extra time, will also try to play with this pair (OpenvSwitch + ODL in Proxmox VE).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!