error: unknown filesystem - Proxmox VE 4.4

euant

May 11, 2017
I'm trying to set up Proxmox VE 4.4 on a HP ProLiant DL320e Gen8 v2 server which has a hardware raid controller and two 500GB drives installed in a raid volume.

The installer ran from a CD ROM correctly, and I isntalled Proxmox to /dev/sda. When I reboot the system after installation completes, I am presented by a GRUB boot menu as you would expect. However, after an entry from GRUB is selected, I hit a screen that simply repeats "error: unknown filesystem" several times. I've incldued screenshots of both the GRUB menu and the error screen that follows it.

Any ideas on what could be wrong? I selected the default EXT4 filesystem during boot so I'm not doing anything particularly fancy here. The RAID array shows as being healthy within the HP iLO management system.

2017-05-11 17.10.53.jpg

2017-05-11 17.10.56.jpg

Smart Array B120i is not a "real" raid controller, such software base solutions are also called "fakeraid" controllers.

If you have such hardware, do NOT use their raid functions, instead present the single disks directly to Proxmox VE for the use as ZFS. Much more reliable and powerful.

Reactions: euant
Smart Array B120i is not a "real" raid controller, such software base solutions are also called "fakeraid" controllers.

If you have such hardware, do NOT use their raid functions, instead present the single disks directly to Proxmox VE for the use as ZFS. Much more reliable and powerful.

I considered ZFS, but the memory requirements put me off as this server only has 16GB memory and I need to run a Windows VM.

I considered ZFS, but the memory requirements put me off as this server only has 16GB memory and I need to run a Windows VM.

You can limit ZFS memory usage, you can add more RAM, or consider upgrade to a real hardware raid controller.

Reactions: euant
You can limit ZFS memory usage, you can add more RAM, or consider upgrade to a real hardware raid controller.

Thanks. I've already got the system set up using EXT4 now, so it's probably too late to change it to ZFS. I'll keep it in mind for the future though if I do another deployment.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!