enabling shared storage for selected nodes of the cluster

ioo

Renowned Member
Oct 1, 2011
Hi!

I have working Proxmox cluster consisting of two Dell R320 computers and quorum disk. Shared storage is DRBD v. 8 over 10g ethernet named sn_drbd_data. Cluster + HA is working as expected. Now i intend to introduce Dell MD3400 as shared SAS connected storage named sn_md3400_data + 3rd Dell R430 node. For several reasons the result should be cluster like this

1. all three servers see sn_md3400_data
2. two Dell R320 servers see sn_drbd_data
3. Dell R430 does not see sn_drbd_data

I tested it with 4.2 and it appears practically possible although at one point i have (expected) error:

1. i shared appropriate storage resourses to nodes
2. i so to say registered them in Proxmox GUI and all of the nodes have in GUI both storages visible (although more natural would be if R430 isnt showing sn_drbd_data)
3. i can create under HA tab Groups according to storage present for virtual machines i.e. those machines which reside on sn_drbd_data belong to the group of nodes with sn_drbd_data; and other virtual hosts belong to the group of all nodes
4. when node goes down HA moves virtual machines as expected
5. when i try to migrate virtual sn_drbd_data virtual machine to the Dell R430 node then it can't work like this as expected (although more natural would be that in gui i do not have that choice) and indeed i get error 'May 14 20:19:15 ERROR: migration aborted (duration 00:00:03): can't activate LV '/dev/vg_drbd_data/vm-103-disk-1': device-mapper: reload ioctl on failed: Device or resource busy
TASK ERROR: migration aborted'

So my questions are

1. is it safe to use Proxmox as i described despite of this error (i think i just can avoid it)
2. is it possible to enable shared storage for selected nodes of the cluster

Best regards,

Imre

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!