Enabling Numa

fahadshery

Feb 13, 2021
Hi,

I was looking at the docs about enabling NUMA because I have dual Xeon E5-2650 v2 processors on a dell R720 server. I have searched everywhere to find a good guide to enable NUMA according to the number of nodes and sockets.
Anyone has tried it and could help?

Cheers,

hi,

what do you get from numactl --hardware?

I have searched everywhere to find a good guide to enable NUMA according to the number of nodes and sockets.

notice the following from the numa wiki link:
As a rule of thumb your system is NUMA-aware if you have more than one CPU.

to enable numa for a VM you just need to tick the box in the menu VM -> Hardware -> Processor -> Enable NUMA

Reactions: fahadshery
hi,

notice the following from the numa wiki link:

to enable numa for a VM you just need to tick the box in the menu VM -> Hardware -> Processor -> Enable NUMA
Thank you for your reply. I was thinking the process would be very complicated but it was just a tick box in the `CPU` section :)

Needless to say but I changed all my VMs to NUMA and My windows 10 VM with a GPU passthrough is successfully giving above 60fps to AppleTV via Moonlight app which was dreadful without NUMA!
I have tried games such as Dead & Cells, Monster trucks, Hitman and GTA V! I am sure this could be further improved if I run an Ethernet Cable from the router to the AppleTV but for now it's just ok for casual gaming

This is what I get:
Code:
root@pve:~# numactl --hardware
available: 2 nodes (0-1)
node 0 cpus: 0 2 4 6 8 10 12 14 16 18 20 22 24 26 28 30
node 0 size: 80525 MB
node 0 free: 904 MB
node 1 cpus: 1 3 5 7 9 11 13 15 17 19 21 23 25 27 29 31
node 1 size: 112854 MB
node 1 free: 385 MB
node distances:
node   0   1
  0:  10  20
  1:  20  10

I have about 5 VMs and the Server is Dell R720 with dual E5-2650 v2, 2 x nVidia GPUs and 192GB RAM

Last edited:
great, seems like it's enabled and working :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!