Email from address

lweidig

Oct 20, 2011
Sheboygan, WI
We are in the process of building a new cluster using 4.0. I noticed under the Datacenter -> Options section a Email from address field with the hint of root@$hostname. We would like to change this to proxmox@$hostname but the edit entry is not matching that as valid. It is instead checking for only well formed e-mail addresses in its opinion. Is there a way to get this working so that each of the boxes in the cluster have a unique e-mail, but it comes from proxmox at that host. We use root for other purposes. The other solution would possibly be to just use proxmox-$hostname@excel.net for us and I will try that.

Just seems like something that needs to be cleaned up. Thanks!

I assume its possible to make this extra complex, but just writing the full email address you like looks like an easy way for me.

I assume its possible to make this extra complex, but just writing the full email address you like looks like an easy way for me.

Yes of course that is possible, but since this setting is at the top level every server then sends out with the same e-mail address. If $hostname is allowed you get stuff like:

proxmox@server1.excel.net
proxmox@server2.excel.net

This way if the message does not make it clear which machine it is you can easily identify. No big deal but since the hint suggests you are already doing this for root@$hostname I thought it might be trivial to do this for other addresses.

Yes of course that is possible, but since this setting is at the top level every server then sends out with the same e-mail address. If $hostname is allowed you get stuff like:

proxmox@server1.excel.net
proxmox@server2.excel.net

This way if the message does not make it clear which machine it is you can easily identify. No big deal but since the hint suggests you are already doing this for root@$hostname I thought it might be trivial to do this for other addresses.

ok, I see what you mean. please file an enhancement request in our bugzilla, maybe a dev picks it up.

7 Years... but seems about right to dig out again now with the rust-proxmox-mail-forward splitout live?
- root@ or proxmox@ is not my concern,
- but the "@$HOSTNAME" part I take please :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!