Dual boot installation

alenguav

Oct 15, 2014
I was thinking of doing the following procedure to install PROXMOX in a core i7 laptop, do you think it feasible?
My final goal is to have a PROXMOX lab test

1. Install proxmox in full disk (the laptop has a 1 TB hard disk)
2. Repartition the hard disk and assign 500GB to proxmox and keep 500GB for windows 7 in case we need to use the laptop for other purposes.
3. Setup dual boot so we can choose to boot from PROXMOX or Windows 7

Hi,

I have already a dualboot on my server (win10 + debian). Win 10 is there just for testing purpose, the Debain is running everything. So far I was happy with this setup - multiple docker containers, some VMs (KVM), etc. My next goal is to test available options to virtualize some "company environment" (routers/firewalls/servers). In order to do so I dont wanna destroy my existing dualboot and especially Debian setup. What I would like to accomplish is to add Proxmox VE to the dualboot options - install it on separate SSD and test all its capabilities.

Here are my concerns if somebody can spare a moment:
  1. Will it add to the boot options if I install ProxmoxVE on separate SSD from the ISO file you provide? Or are there some necessary tweaks in order to have functioning "triple boot".
  2. If I am satisfied with the Proxmox VE, will I be able to import existing Debian install from the LV it is installed on? Probably know the answer.. but just to confirm.
  3. Does Proxmox VE allow to pass-through resources to the VM? For the CPU - so called host pass-through and the GPU pass-through. For the most of my VMs I would like to share whole CPU as is - so the VMs see it directly and can share its all resources.
  4. Will ProxmoxVE work without dedicated graphic card? I have 2 dedicated Graphic Cards - CPU doesn't provide any. First one Nvidia Quadro is meant for the main Linux system hosting all the dockers containers - it will process all the transcoding stuff for the media center inside. The second dedicated Nvidia is for Gaming on TV - via GPU pass-through to the Win10 VM.
  5. Can I configure graphic card (nvidia quadro in this case) resources per VMs as it is possible with CPU?
  6. Can I do the complete GPU share as with CPU (so called host pass-through)?

Thanks for anybody taking time in responding this questions. Appreciate, Michal

Hi,

for the next time please open a new thread and do not use old ones.

Grub and systemd boot are capable to load also Windows. But this is not supported by Proxmox.

If I am satisfied with the Proxmox VE, will I be able to import existing Debian install from the LV it is installed on?
Yes, you can. dd or qemu-img can do this.

You can share CPU over multiple VM/CT this is the basic idea of virtualization.
Shared GPU is only working with GPU witch is capable to expose a GPU as a function.
This feature is normally available at the most expensive Enterprise GPU.

But a single GPU can PCIe passthrough to a VM [1]

Can I configure graphic card (nvidia quadro in this case) resources per VMs as it is possible with CPU?
It depends on the Model and the license(NVIDIA) you got.

1.) https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Pci_passthrough

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!