[SOLVED] Drive offline after update to new version

ljety

Oct 25, 2018
My VM is broken. I try to restore my backup to a new VM. After start I have 0xc000000e error. Windows (Server 2019) is installed on iscsi0 drive (250G) and boot system partition is located on iscsi1 (400G). Usual VM boot from disk 'scsi1'.

How I can fix it?

Backup was always made with Proxmox backup manager.

If I boot from installation CD, after loading "vioiscsi" driver I see that my drive is offline. Boot and data partition on second drive are enable.

install.png

Can that be causing the problem? I tried also to boot with linux recue CD. I can mount all partitions and read the data. How to set partition online for Windows?

OK, it's seems I can reproduce this error. I create new machine with two new drives, 32GB and 35GB. Boot order: 'virtio0', CD-ROM, Network and we have second drive offline

install_1.png

If I change boot order to: 'virtio1', CD-ROM, Network we get first drive offline.

install_2.png

If I change boot order to: CD-ROM, Network, none, we get all drives offline.

install_3.png

It seems that Proxmox put drives offline, and this is why my VM can't start.

I have this situation after upgrade my cluster on Friday to proxmox-ve: 6.2-2 (running kernel: 5.4.65-1-pve), pve-manager: 6.2-12 (running version: 6.2-12/b287dd27).

What can I do to put all drives online in my VM?

On new server I installed Virtual Environment 5.4-3 and here I don't have offline drives.

install_4.png

I'll bump this, I'm having the same issue on 6.3-3.

VM Guest OS: Windows Server 2019
Drive: SCSI
Controller: Virtio SCSI
Drivers: Tried 0.1.185 and 0.1.190

The drive is shown as offline, and you can put it online from the installer but it's still showing as an invalid target for windows install.

I still keep this virtual machine under Virtual Environment 5.4-3. Maybe over weekend I try to move it back but guess it will fail.

EDIT: mine turned out to be a corrupted server 2019 iso image - downloaded again and then i could use the drives after installing the driver

i am having a similar issue

If i try and install a new vm with 2019 volume license edition it will not detect the virtio scsi drivers.

I spent about an hour banging my head against the wall thinking it was my vm settings or a corrupted driver file.

In the end i used an evaluation ISO and hey presto it loaded the drivers first time and worked

problem is you cant activate 2019 volume with a retail key... so i can install one but not activate and the other i cant install!

I'm also using virt-1.185

Last edited:
I have the same issue. If anyone has a solution on how you can actually install to a VirtIO storage device here, please enlighten me.

We had a smiliar issue after upgrading our hypervisors last night. Our Windows based VMs would boot up with only one (Windows install) of the three disks online and usable.

We had to go in to disk management, put the disk as online and then Windows saw the additional two storage points.

Maybe try to install Windows to one drive and then use disk management to put create any additional storage points needed.

For everyone else having the same issue, the solution for now at least is to go into Options -> Boot Order and mark all disks as "Enabled". Make sure the bootable disk is on top!

For everyone else having the same issue, the solution for now at least is to go into Options -> Boot Order and mark all disks as "Enabled". Make sure the bootable disk is on top!
Yes, I can confirm it. I move my virtual machine back to my Server with Virtual Environment 6.3-3 and it start again.

Reactions: triks and ryanstorm
2nded. Tried to install Win Server 2019, after loading the Vitrioscsi driver the installer said my drive is offline........... mark all disks as "Enabled" in boot order solved this stupid error.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!