DRBD Setup Advice

jasonh

Mar 27, 2011
Hi,

I currently run a 2 host cluster with no HA capability, I just run nfs shares on each host for backup purposes (vms on host 1 backup to host 2 and vms on host 2 backup to host 1).

I now have a 3rd host ready to set-up and I would like to add some form of replicated storage. I have read lots about ceph and although I'd love to go that way only 2 of the hosts are identical hardware and I am only running a gigabit network so I will stay within my means.

What I am planning is;
  • VMs normally running on 3rd host to have no HA and be stored locally
  • DRBD across the 2 identical hosts 1 & 2 (with separate resources for hosts that normally run on each host)
  • HA NFS shares of the DRBD storage available to all 3 hosts
  • VMs normally running on host 1 with failover ; half to 2 & half to 3
  • VMs normally running on host 2 with failover; half to 1 & half to 3
I am just about to start testing this on 3 VM's on my home lab but are there any obvious caveats or anything I should look out for?

Many thanks
Jason

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!