[SOLVED] do-release-upgrade on Ubuntu LXC installs?

mattlach

Mar 23, 2016
Boston, MA
Hey all,

All of my Ubuntu containers are still on 14.04LTS, because IMHO 16.04 hasn't been out there long enough to prove itself yet, and I don't run non-LTS Ubuntu releases on anything, desktop or server. ( learned my lesson about this years ago)

Right now, - however - I have a need to do some 16.04 container based testing.

After upgrading to 4.2 and doing a "pveam update" it appears as if Proxmox does not currently have a 16.04 template in Proxmox. Is there any reason why I shouldn't install with the 14.04 (or maybe 15.10?) template, and immediately do a do-release-upgrade to 16.04?

Does a do-release-upgrade generally work in an LXC container, or does it mess things up, try to modify files that are not there in containers, and install unneeded packages?

If this is a bad idea, is there a better way to get a 16.04 LXC container right now?

Is it possible to copy an existing LXC template for 16.04 into the tomplates folder manually, or are there differences between the configurations scripts for vanilla LXC and the LXC implementation in Proxmox?

Much appreciated,
Matt

Never mind, I got my answer here.

My mistake was I searched for "do-release-upgrade" when I should ahve searched for "testing template" :p

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!