DKMS Realtek r8168 module not found with latest kernel

I'm using Proxmox VE on Debian 6. The machine (a Hetzner dedicated server) has a Realtek r8168 NIC, the standard r8169 driver gives me all kinds of strange errors. Thus, I've added the sources from Realtek to be compiled using DKMS. This works flawlessly using kernel 2.6.32-17-pve, but I can't get it to work using kernel 2.6.32-19-pve. (Haven't tried -18 though)

Unfortunately, when the box starts and no NIC driver is present, it's not available from the network, which makes it pretty hard for me to trace dmsg or else while the load fails. I've checked a lot of stuff:

1. Matching pve-kernel headers are present
  2. The dkms.conf file looks like this.
  3. I've run a number of checks to make sure the module is actually available.

However, when I start the machine using kernel 2.6.32-19-pve the r8168 module does not load, rendering the machine unavailable. I'm lost at why this happens. Can anybody help?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!