Disks not showing up

ni3kn

Aug 12, 2023
Hi all.

I just got myself a cheap Dell r710. Works really well.

At first I only got an SSD of 480GB so i tought lets add more.

So I added 2x 4TB WD golds to the hotswap bays. But now proxmox cant see them.
lsblk doesn't see them as well

Sorry if its a stupid question

The server has a RAID controller and it sees them.
(Note: the raid controller isn't set up)

Can anybody help me?

The server has a RAID controller and it sees them.
(Note: the raid controller isn't set up)
There is your answer ;-)

You need to create a "virtual" disk with (for example) those two disks. This single virtual disk will then get presented to the OS/PVE as one "real" harddisk.

Usually you'll need to go the the BIOS of the controller to do that. Watch for hints "Press Fx to access the Raid Controller Bios" or similar during POST - that is before the OS boots. (The other method for Dell is to have iDRAC available and to operate the system remotely.)

That said: a lot of people (me included) might recommend to use an HBA instead of a "Hardware-RAID-Controller". Some of those PERC can be flashed with an alternative firmware to achieve this status. Only then the usage of ZFS is recommended to use. (And I for myself want, want, want ZFS.)

Good luck
Oh..., and welcome to the club!

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!