Disk space issue, 5x 44GB NOT equal with 220GB, how it's possible?!

zuliasro

Dec 25, 2017
Please help me figure out, what's wrong.
I have a SSD with 220GB parition (created on this way: "Last sector, +sectors or +size{K,M,G,T,P} (4096-784932712, default 784932712): +220G"), formatted as Linux LVM.
I have a volume group, including only this SSD, no more.
I have a storage with 220GB, everything looks fine.
I already created a VM with 44GB disk.
Now, I start to cloning the "ready made" VM 4 times more, get it 5 VMs together on the same disk.
3 times I already cloned, but on the 4th times I got an error message: "insufficient free space"
Please check my attached image, and help me to figure out how it's possible, and what I made wrong.
There is 1 !!!! extents different.

Thank you

Attachments

• proxmox_disk_issue.jpg
    proxmox_disk_issue.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 5
Proxmox is using 44GiB. Your partition is 220GB. 44GiB = 47.245GB. 5x 47.245GB = 236,225GB. Also keep in mind that LVM needs some free space if you want to use snapshots because they will be stored on the free space of that VG .And if you want some free space for snapshots and so on (lets say 10%) you LVM storage should be 260GB and not 220GB to be able to store 5x 44GiB virtual discs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Whitterquick
also check the output of 'pvdisplay', 'vgdisplay' and 'lvdisplay' for more details about how many extends your vgs/pvs/lvs really have
my guess is that @Dunuin is right and its simply lvm taking a little bit of space for itself

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!