[SOLVED] Disk images & Containers on ZFS Datasets and ZFS Volumes?

moxi

Aug 18, 2017
Hi all,

I have recently installed PROXMOX and I want to use it together with a ZFS pool primarily for backups. So the idea is to install borg on a VM or on a LXC container or even on a docker container and store my backups from some machines on ZFS datasets. I have created the ZFS pool as well as some datasets and now I'm stuck with the storage options, that PROXMOX offers. I have read in some threads that a VM should reside on a ZFS volume and not on a dataset. So I have created a volume:

root@proxmox:/proxmox-pool/# zfs create -V 10gb proxmox-pool/borg_vol

I could see the created volume in the console but not in the PROXMOX GUI. I've tried to create a LVM physical volume according to this:

acidrop.biz/wp/?p=559

but then:

root@proxmox:/dev/zvol/proxmox-pool# pvcreate /dev/zd0
Device /dev/zd0 not found (or ignored by filtering).

Then I found this:

serverfault.com/questions/720868/pvcreate-device-dev-sdxx-not-found-or-ignored-by-filtering

Indeed dev/zd* devices are filtered:

# Do not scan ZFS zvols (to avoid problems on ZFS zvols snapshots)
global_filter = [ "r|/dev/zd.*|", "r|/dev/mapper/pve-.*|" ]

So what is going on? What am I missing? Do Disk Images and Containers need to be on ZFS Volumes or not? What should I choose in the GUI? And also what should I choose for the backup storage? I suppose for the latter should be Directory but what kind of Content?

Regards,
Nick

Last edited:
Hi,

I understand that you have a zfs storage already , and you should see it in proxmox web interface. You do not need to create from command line any dataset/zvol, if you want to used for a VM/container. When you create a VM/container from web interface you must choose the zfs storage for that. When you start the VM/container the proxmox will create the necessary dataset/zvol.

Reactions: moxi
Thanks for the reply.
So it takes care of the datasets and volumes.
OK. Got it. Thanks!!!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!