Disabling Thin Provisioning

hk135

Renowned Member
Nov 3, 2014
Hi There

For various reasons I really need to disable Thin Provisioning of disks for Raw and QCOW2. I can't seem to find an option to do this, is there one?

Thanks

For various reasons I really need to disable Thin Provisioning of disks for Raw and QCOW2. I can't seem to find an option to do this, is there one?

We already preallocate metadata by default, so what do you want to disable exactly?

Hi There

We got into a situation where we have 1200Gb out of 916Gb allocated and the disk filled up, crashing most of the servers on the box. We want to stop this from happening and unfort upgrading the person who over allocated's brain is not an option!

I just want to disable sparse files as the space left reported in proxmox isn't the allocated space but the used space and as soon as the disk fills up windows crashes

I confirm that thin provisioning is on by default (my proxmox is installed on top of debian) and I'm also trying to get rid of such behaviour

We already preallocate metadata by default, so what do you want to disable exactly?

That is not true for Virtual Environment 5.1-51, trying to fix this, using https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/169669/converting-sparse-file-to-non-sparse-in-place as workaround. This will copy whole disk to non sparse file, but create such high load on disk, that it will likely kill other vms running on same hdd. For 1TB dis you need to expect down time for several hours.

Last edited:
Still having same problem. I want to mention that I'm using LUKS encryption on top of LVM in host operating system.

@sinaamos You have my compassion. I could not solve this. It's annoying to see all vm down when one vm take too much space. There is partial solution. You can create vm and then move the disk to another location. It seems that copy operation will occupy all space. I don't thin proxmox cares, so this is only solution I know so far.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!