disable encryption for spice (on a trusted network)

idecable

Sep 19, 2015
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to disable encryption for my Spice connections.

I have a trusted network.

I've always run Spice without encryption in libvirtd. I'm doing this knowing I'm guaranteed to get maximum bandwidth and lowest latency.

Is this possible with Proxmox?

Regards,

Marc

Last edited:
No there is no simple switch to turn it off as encrypting communication channels is essential for Proxmox VE.

Latency and bandwidth should not be affected in noticeable dimensions, can you feel a practical difference at all when comparing encrypted with raw?

I have noticed a difference on a 4 socket 8 core per cpu system. 256gigs of ram (Dell R910). 2.26ghz with turno mode enabled at the bios. Every VM using dedicated raw raid1 no cache/native mode.

(comparing vs Fedora 21).

I have dedicated Ethernet interfaces for each thin clients accessing the VMs.

Aside of the normal kvm/spice tuneups (hd in no cache, native), and spice enabled, is there additional tuneups for proxmox?

Regards,

Marc

I have tested against CentOS 6.7 and I finally have performance I was looking for (especially using NUMA enabled cores, spice).

I wish my hardware could run smoothly under Proxmox. Is there an official list of supported hardware?

Right now I'm running under kernel version 2.6.32-573.3.1.el6.x86_64. On my spare time I'll test Proxmox with that same kernel see if it makes any difference. (I'm totally willing to go out of my way for this.. I got the spare resources for testing)

I have tested over 5 distros in the past week. So far this is the only kernel that gives me the performance that I need.

I am suspecting NUMA support could be at the root of the issue. I'm actually surprised to be sitting on 2.6.32, I get it that "newer is not always better".. as long as NUMA works the way it's supposed to be I'll be a happy camper.

As you said earlier, SSL should not influence bandwidth, I'm using up to 140megabit/sec while doing fullscreen multimedia. I'll keep testing. I assume you guys get no lag under SSL? If yes, at what CPU clocking are you running under?

(Netflix or youtube in fullscreen mode is a good test on my end..)

If your support group has experience with Dell R910 series and knows the type of problem I am experiencing under Proxmox, I certainly invite them to the conversation.

I would consider subscription once I know I'm 100% on beat with performance.

My specs:

Dell R910 - 256gig ECC DDR3 1066Mhz
Intel Xeon X7560 - 4 sockets @ 2.26Ghz - 8 cores 2 threads per CPU, total of 64 logical core.
16 drive backplane on the server - H700 host raid adapter - 8 RAID1
Powervault MD1120 with Perc/6E - 6 RAID10
4 gigabit ethernet onboard, 8 additional gigabit ethernet ports on PCIE (two quad ports cards).

All my thin clients are within my LAN, with dedicated bandwidth.

Regards,

Marc

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!