direct vzdump | qmrestore storage migration doesn't work anymore

mgabriel

Renowned Member
Jul 28, 2011
Saarbrücken, Germany
www.inett.de
Hi,

an older Harddisk is about to die. That's the reason why I had to move the machines to the newer iscsi storage. But as I did it before, it doesn't work anymore.

I did a direct storage migration before by using the output of vzdump as input of the qmrestore command. So that worked before. I documented it and I now tried the same again after months, and it failed:

Code:
proxmox01:~# vzdump --stdout 104 | qmrestore --storage iscsi2 - 103 && vzdump --stdout 130 | qmrestore --storage iscsi2 - 131
INFO: restore QemuServer backup '-' using ID 103
INFO: starting new backup job: vzdump --stdout 104
INFO: Backup Device mounted
INFO: Starting Backup of VM 104 (qemu)
INFO: stopped
INFO: status = stopped
INFO: backup mode: stop
INFO: ionice priority: 7
INFO: sending archive to stdout
INFO: adding '/var/lib/vz/dump/vzdump-qemu-104-2012_07_20-02_21_47.tmp/qemu-server.conf' to archive ('qemu-server.conf')
INFO: adding '/srv/local1/images/104/vm-104-disk-1.raw' to archive ('vm-disk-ide0.raw')
INFO: Finished Backup of VM 104 (00:21:05)
INFO: Backup Device unmounted
INFO: Backup job finished successfuly
INFO: tar: This does not look like a tar archive
INFO: tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
INFO: starting cleanup
ERROR: restore QemuServer backup '-' failed - command 'tar xf '-' '--to-command=/usr/sbin/qmrestore --storage iscsi2 - --extract 103'' failed with exit code 2

Why does qmrestore fail here? Or did vzdump already fail in creating the tar? The log points to qmrestore.

Any hints?

Best regards,
Marco

There was an /etc/vzdump.conf which referred to a backup device. I moved it to somewhere else and now I'm trying again...

Will a /etc/vzdump.conf be used even if I start vzdump manually?

br,
Marco

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!