Device mismatch detected for <disk> which is accessing /dev/sdc instead of /dev/mapper/mpath2

jmansell

Aug 9, 2020
I got everything set up with almost no understanding of multipath initially and ProxMox used /dev/sdc as my datastore. After unfathomable headaches fixing multipath and learning I now have my lvm.conf set to ignore sd[c-g] and my multipath devices are mapped to mpathX. Unfortunately, I had already configured VMs to run off that datastore and so I have 2 disks that are tied to /dev/sdc. How do I reconfigure these disks to access /dev/mapper/mpath2 instead of /dev/sdc?

I'm stuck on the console because I enabled clustering and now nothing will launch until I get this fixed, any help would be greatly appreciated

Code:
root@vmhost02:~# pvs
  WARNING: Device mismatch detected for media-mass/vm-104-disk-0 which is accessing /dev/sdc instead of /dev/mapper/mpath2.
  WARNING: Device mismatch detected for media-mass/vm-109-disk-0 which is accessing /dev/sdc instead of /dev/mapper/mpath2.
  PV                 VG         Fmt  Attr PSize   PFree
  /dev/mapper/mpath2 media-mass lvm2 a--  <30.00t <720.00g
  /dev/sda3          pve        lvm2 a--  <67.25g   <8.38g
  /dev/sdb           vm-os      lvm2 a--   <1.20t <806.79g

I may have solved my own problem using this: https://ervikrant06.wordpress.com/2014/10/01/how-to-convert-existing-lv-to-multipath-device-in-rhel/

I'll summarize for anybody in the future with issues

Code:
# lvchange -an VOLUME-GROUP/LOGICAL-VOLUME
# vgchange -an VOLUME-GROUP
# lvchange -ay /dev/mapper/LOGICAL-VOLUME
# shutdown -r now #For good measure...

Now I have a different issue with the web ui not coming up but I'll treat that as a separate issue.

EDIT: This seems to have undone itself, so not solved. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Reactions: lowerym

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!