DELL PowerEdge loud with PROXMOX

moxi

Aug 18, 2017
Hi,

I have installed PROXMOX on a USB and testing it on my server, a DELL PowerEdge T330, and left untouched my first boot partition with Ubuntu 16.04 on it. When I run Ubuntu the machine is very quiet, the fan works apparently in a very low speed at idle. It gets louder only either with load or with high ambient temperature. When I run PROXMOX the machine is in the first 3-4 minutes almost as quiet as with Ubuntu but after that it gets louder. After some more time it was getting even louder but the situation got a little better after I have updated the BIOS and changed some settings in it. I have also tried with the packages lm-sensors and fancontrol to regulate the fan speed but I get "There are no pwm-capable sensor modules installed".

Has anyone experienced the same? Any ideas?

Hi,

well, as fans are usually controlled/triggered by the temparature of the system/CPU, you should probably look for high/higher utilization of the system? If it comes with iDRAC, you can also lookup the current teperatur from there...

BR

We have also running some T330 with Proxmox without problems. System Powerregulator is on high performance, not controlled by OS. This is the best way. So everything is controlled by bios.

@marsian,@fireon: Thanks for your replies!
@marsian: I haven't seen high load in PROXMOX Web Interface. AFAIR I don't have iDRAC.
@fireon: In "high performance" I can hear the fan.
I have re-installed PROXMOX on another USB and booting now from it. So far the machine runs quietly, even with some load. I still don't know why the first install became noisy. I thought it was related to the updated kernel but I have updated again without any issues.

The USB that is working is from the same brand but with a bigger body. I have tried with another USB with a small compact body from another brand. After a while the machine gets louder. Then I removed the USB from the front slot and put it in one slot on the back of the PowerEdge. The machine is quiet since then. My assumption is that the problem was caused because USBs with small compact body get pretty warm and the temperature sensor is somewhere in the front (haven't checked this).

The USB that is working is from the same brand but with a bigger body. I have tried with another USB with a small compact body from another brand. After a while the machine gets louder. Then I removed the USB from the front slot and put it in one slot on the back of the PowerEdge. The machine is quiet since then. My assumption is that the problem was caused because USBs with small compact body get pretty warm and the temperature sensor is somewhere in the front (haven't checked this).
Hi,
I hope you know, that an installation on a USB-Sick are not the best idea.

Udo

Hi Udo,
What do you mean? Will the USB fail very quickly?
I have seen that PROXMOX creates by default a SWAP partition I know this is not good for an USB but other than that what else could cause problems? Logs?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!