[SOLVED] Debian Virtual disk unreadable after first boot

TheYolocast

Oct 6, 2021
Hello all.

I am not new to virtualization, but I am new to proxmox. I am trying to build my first homelab on a Dell Poweredge r710. So far, I have a pfSense gateway router installed and working normally.

Here's the issue:

When I tried to create a Debian VM, it took a really long time to install from ISO. When it finally booted up, it tried to start Gnome and gave me a blinking underscore. After a few minutes of this, I told the VM to shut down, and it did so cleanly. When I tried to bring it back up, however, it told me that it couldn't read the disk for boot anymore. So I tried to install again and had the same issue.

Later after a fresh install, I shut it down at the Grub screen before it was able to boot into Debian (So I could take a snapshot), but I found that the issue still occurred when I brought it back up for its first boot, meaning whatever change to the disk that is causing it to become unbootable is happening during or before Grub.

Hardware Config:
1633554706716.png

Options are default.

Note: I had to set the display to VMWare compatible to get the graphical install to work.

Any ideas?

Thank you,
Jacob S.

Last edited:
Update: I had not set an EFI drive. My bad. I didn't realize what that did exactly. Now I just have to solve the Gnome issue.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!