Debian upgrade to squeeze

Ammler

Sep 28, 2010
Since today, debian deleted the lenny repos and we got errors on update, I guess, this means we _need_ to upgrade to squeeze finally :)

I found this guide:
http://www.debian.org/releases/squeeze/amd64/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html

but I am wondering, if we need to consider some special steps with Proxmox, as we have another kernel. Maybe you have some other additional tips how to upgrade debian with proxmox 1.9

Edit:
Also all the guides on the wiki refering to Debian lenny, can those simply be substituted by squeeze and work again?

Greets and thanks
Ammler

Last edited:
Since today, debian deleted the lenny repos and we got errors on update, I guess, this means we _need_ to upgrade to squeeze finally :)

Debian project does not deleted the Lenny repos, still available on archives (but yes, not getting any updates).

In order to update to latest Lenny, you need the following sources.list:

Code:
deb [URL]http://archive.debian.org/debian[/URL] lenny main contrib

# PVE packages provided by proxmox.com
deb [URL]http://download.proxmox.com/debian[/URL] lenny pve

Hi friends,

i think i should have waited for the upgrade script.

But, before i figured out that special steps for proxmox are needed, i just tried the update, now i got failures, on a 2nd machine also errors occured:

View attachment logfile-upgrade-to-squeeze.txt.zip

now differet behavior is the result:

proxmox:~# qm list
Can't locate PVE/Tools.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.10.1 /usr/local/share/perl/5.10.1 /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.10 /usr/share/perl/5.10 /usr/local/lib/site_perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.10.0 /usr/local/share/perl/5.10.0 .) at /usr/sbin/qm line 10.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/sbin/qm line 10.

proxmox11:~# qm list
ipcc_send_rec failed: Verbindungsaufbau abgelehnt

which ist not really amusing ;)

is there a chance of getting it fixed without a complete new installation?

Last edited:
pls do never post logs on pastebin or any other third party server as they disappear. attach all needed logs to the forum.

Hi friends,

i think i should have waited for the upgrade script.

But, before i figured out that special steps for proxmox are needed, i just tried the update, now i got failures, on a 2nd machine also errors occured:

View attachment 846

now differet behavior is the result:

proxmox:~# qm list
Can't locate PVE/Tools.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.10.1 /usr/local/share/perl/5.10.1 /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.10 /usr/share/perl/5.10 /usr/local/lib/site_perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.10.0 /usr/local/share/perl/5.10.0 .) at /usr/sbin/qm line 10.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/sbin/qm line 10.

proxmox11:~# qm list

which ist not really amusing ;)

is there a chance of getting it fixed without a complete new installation?

yes, you should wait for the script which will be released soon. you can try to remove all proxmox ve 1.9 package and then install the new 2.0 packages. but I suggest you do a new installation and next time I highly recommend to test unsupported ways in a test environment if you can´t wait for the official way.

yes, you should wait for the script which will be released soon. you can try to remove all proxmox ve 1.9 package and then install the new 2.0 packages. but I suggest you do a new installation and next time I highly recommend to test unsupported ways in a test environment if you can´t wait for the official way.

Thank you tom, removing old and installing new proxmox worked. but was the hard way. on one machine the kernel has been removed, so i could not boot.

but another problem occured: it like to have two machines clustered together. but if i setup clustering it occures that .ssh/authorized_keys is no longer a filer but a symlink.
it is not nice to disabled all old keys but the real problem is: the ssh-server seems not to accept a symlink.
if it is a file, i can login using the key.
it it is a symlink, the key is refused and for a password is asked.
and so, i cannot setup a cluster node...

Will you also release a upgrade script just to change distro to squeeze (without upgrade to proxmox 2)

Will you also release a upgrade script just to change distro to squeeze (without upgrade to proxmox 2)

No. All should move to 2.0.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!