[SOLVED] debian jessie kvm installation

RRJ

Apr 14, 2010
Estonia, Tallinn
/?Hi,

Have anyone tried to install debian 8 VM on proxmox ? I'm trying to install using glusterfs volume as storage and have no luck
1. if I use qcow format, than installation never goes to its end or (if it installs fine) I'm getting erros on boot (like can't load module ext4) and not able to boot up the system
2. if I use raw format, than installation is just extremely slow.

no problems with debian wheezy VM-s on same proxmox setup... ideas?

Continued on http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/22882-BUG-Proxmox-s-qemu-and-Debian-8-virtio-drivers-(as-VM-guest)

Last edited:
I can confirm, that after REALLY slow installation the VM runs ok. If I download some files over Internet, am getting about 1Gbps speed, so there is no problem between proxmox and gluster. But, as soon as I install something from repos - it goes just very slow. It downloads pretty fast, but installing takes ages.

Small update:
after installation I've made a template of installed Jessie and then made a clone, using qcow file format. Now it runs smoothly.

Any problems with raw file storage?

Small update:
after installation I've made a template of installed Jessie and then made a clone, using qcow file format. Now it runs smoothly.

Any problems with raw file storage?

no problem with raw, I assume your storage is not perfecty running (gluster).

test with local storage and compare performance.

Really, it goes ok with local storage.
But what would be the problem? Am running default stable glusterfs, have no problems with raw with debian7 installation. but it is slow with debian8 ..
any hints for glusterfs settings?

Well, don't actually believe, that there is a problem with my glusterfs setup. Seems like a problem with Debian8 virtio drivers. Now I've chosen qcow format, start was pretty good, but as soon as I reach the network mirror choice step, it is not possible to continue. It does not matter what mirror I chose, it says: there was an error and can't download anything from any mirror. It seems to me just broken.

Summary of this test, if someone lost during reading:

Using raw file format as disk type on glusterfs storage
1. debian 7 installs good and fast
2. debian 8 install takes ages (6 hours from netinstall image)

Using qcow file format as disk type on glusterfs storage
1. debian 7 instalsl good and fast
2. debian 8 installation failed on the part of downloading packages from repository mirror (doesn't matter which repo, always fail with network error, if I chose start shell an ping the repo, it is ok. wget is also ok)

result: debian 8 seems to be broken when it comes to glusterfs storage. installs well on local storage.

more on this:

debian8 local installation on ZFS with qcow takes ages also.

Last edited:
Debian 8 on KVM works perfectly for me, I always use virtio.

Do you use glusterfs as backend also?

I confirm, it installs ok on ext4 local storage backend. not with gluster.

PS.
Am using debian 8 amd64.

Last edited:
Do you use glusterfs as backend also?

I confirm, it installs ok on ext4 local storage backend. not with gluster.

PS.
Am using debian 8 amd64.

no, I do not use gluster.

then DEB8 is really broken :) Hope someone will fill the bug report, as I do not have any accounts in debian systems/communities.

then DEB8 is really broken :) Hope someone will fill the bug report, as I do not have any accounts in debian systems/communities.

as it works here, the issue cannot be debian 8. must be something else (on your setup).

same from me - as everything else (including debian7, centos, ubuntu) works on my setup well, it cannot be my setup. I'm not running my setup for first day. Got a lot of VM-s there. Its just some debian drivers bug.
give glusterfs a try with deb8 raw and qcow files.

here is the error when using qcow installation
d8.png

Last edited:
as its only on glusterfs, the issue is glusterfs related. at least, that is what you report here.

as the same driver (virtio) works with other underlying storage types, the virtio cannot be the reason (or any ohter Debian 8 driver).

I'm not reporting anything :) This is a community forum, isn't it? I'm just asking for advice or experience from community members and may be from proxmox devs (your experience is priceless here).
So just for memo, I'm not arguing, am just sharing my experience and willing to know, if someone else met exactly the same situation ( proxmox with production running glusterfs 3.5.3 as storage backend)

back to the topic...
how this issue can be glusterfs related, if everything else works fine with the same glusterfs setup?
Its like we've got few apple trees and all people are able to eat those apples and only one person is not able and tells us, that apple is rotten :)

just to note:
if i repeat installation steps over and over again, it comes up installed... weird.

Last edited:
seems like I found the reason.

On the working proxmox node I've got glusterfs client v 3.5.2 on the not working one - 3.5.3
as soon as I updated 3.5.2 to 3.5.3 I've got the same problem
I'll report to gluterfs devs.

Last edited:
ah no.
this thing is just so random. got installed without problems just few sec-s ago on the storage I had problems installing before...
have to wait for 8.1

Me and some guys from glusterfs community think that it is D8 netwroking drivers related. Timing or smth else has changed. Maybe there is some tuning available later, may be some fixes.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!