Debian grub update

dennisd

Oct 12, 2013
Hello,
i was just upgrading the Proxmox Debian Wheezy Host, when debian said that i did not choose to install grub and if i want to continue doing so?

Is it right continuing without installing grub?!?

Thanks for any reply!

On my update, the default when asked if I wanted to continue without installing Grub was "No". So I chose it and then the master boot record of the hd. Seems to be working fine for me.

Same here

apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
Get same setup prompt.
confused :confused:

@dietmar @tom, Can we select “NO” for the grub-pc setup ?

Last edited:
I assume that you would want to update Grub. If you select "NO" it warns that the existing Grub installation may be unable to load new modules. That doesn't sound good. I would like some clarification on the correct way to go about this as well.

The grub update issue is also occurring on some of our non pve debian hardware systems. there is probably a way to prevent the issue. I have not had a chance do do so but would start b doing what this link suggests: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=47078 . or here http://ask.debian.net/questions

Or you could do this:
make sure you install grub to the correct disk, otherwise the system may not be easy to reboot.

ON most pve systems the boot disk can be found using :
Code:
# pvs
  PV         VG   Fmt  Attr PSize PFree 
  /dev/sdi2  pve  lvm2 a--  1.82t 15.00g

so grub would go to /dev/sdi on that system. not the partition /dev/sdi2

usually for a system with one disk install grub to /dev/sda . I've also read that you can install grub to more then one disk, but have not tested doing so.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!