current status of using ceph on Proxmox nodes

mo_

Oct 27, 2011
Germany
Hi,

sorry if this seems a little weird, but I haven't been able to keep up with recent developments sadly. What I'm wondering is: assuming I know all the ins and outs of Ceph and want to be able to do literally everything you can do with a normal ceph cluster - can I use pveceph for this now or do I still have to install ceph manually alongside proxmox and live with the fact that the Ceph tab in Proxmox will remain empty/unconfigured? Like... is the 'ceph' CLI a vanilla ceph now, would I be able to extend the ceph cluster with ceph-deploy if I wanted to add non-proxmox storage-only nodes... those sorts of things. Or cache pools/storage tiering/erasure coding, possibly cephfs.

I know that the Ceph tab is awesome if you don't want to deal with Ceph yourself and just want a quick n fast-setup HA storage, but would I be better off with a manual setup?

Hi,
pve is debian, so you can use the normal ceph installation.

The ceph-gui-tab show then an "pveceph configuration not initialized (500)".

I don't have any OSDs on the pve-nodes - only monitors, but this shouldn't make any differences (my ceph-installation is older then pve-ceph).

BTW. use ceph-deploy instead an manual setup ;-)

Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!