CTs are no longer shown after cluster creation

Erico

Apr 26, 2014
Hello,

I have 6 CTs on node 192.168.15.23.
Now, I'll insert two other nodes, and I decided to create a cluster.
Following Proxmox_VE_2.0_Cluster, after execute suggested commands on 192.168.15.23:

Code:
# pvecm create modcs
# pvecm add 192.168.15.23 -force

CTs are no longer shown: with directory /etc/vz/conf/ empty, nevertheless /var/lib/vz/private/ contains CTs data.
Googling about it results on sites, like this, that involves delnode parameters:
Code:
pvecm delnode <Node>

I'm not sure to execute commands that involves delnode parameter to recover what is not been shown.

After reading more carefully Proxmox_VE_2.0_Cluster, I noted a very important recommendation: "Please note, the node cannot hold any any VM´s.". However, there are no warning about CTs, or CTs erasing...

During insertion of 192.168.15.23 on cluster, there is a message notifying backup of old data.

So, does anybody know:
- why CTs are no longer shown?
- how can I do to display them again?
- mainly, where are configuration files of /etc/vz/conf/ directory?
- it'll be necessary to perform any restore operation? If yes, any recommendation?

Thank you so much in advance,

Erico.

From your posting it is not clear if you already had a cluster on 1 node. If you did not, then you do not have to use -force option while adding a node to a cluster. On a cluster all your configuration files and cluster settings are in /etc/pve. This is the folder that gets synced to all other nodes in the same cluster. You will most likely find your CT configuration in /etc/pve/openvz/. You may have to copy all the CT configuration files from /var/lib/vz/private/ to /etc/pve/openvz to see them from Proxmox GUI.

Hello,

Code:
# pvecm create modcs
# pvecm add 192.168.15.23 -force

The mistake was "pvecm add" - this command has to be processed only in the additional nodes in the cluster (and you must add them before a VM or CT was created there) - in the first one "create" is enough (and existing CTs/VMs will remain).

Last edited:
From your posting it is not clear if you already had a cluster on 1 node.
No, I don't. I was trying it for the first time.

If you did not, then you do not have to use -force option while adding a node to a cluster.
I tried to do it without -force, without success.

You will most likely find your CT configuration in /etc/pve/openvz/.
They aren't there:
Code:
root@ifal-cloud-pm2:~# updatedb
root@ifal-cloud-pm2:~# locate 100.conf
root@ifal-cloud-pm2:~# locate 101.conf
root@ifal-cloud-pm2:~#
Really, they aren't anywhere. It was not possible to locate them.
Further comments will be extremelly helpful.

There is any way to rollback cluster creation and recover previous state?
I noticed that, while cluster creation, pvecm command reported a message about perform a backup of old configuration.

Thanks a lot,

Erico.

Thanks by your comment.

Problems are still remain. Any further recommendations?

Thanks again,

Erico.

Problems are still remain. Any further recommendations?

Hello Erico,

With "Problems" you mean that you cannot restore the CTs? I don´t know how it works in detail, but I think in the moment of "pvecm add" the filesystem which contains /etc/pve/ is reinitialized and all data which were stored there before are lost. On the other hand: only the configuration files are there, the data are in the datastore you specified. That means, if you recreate /etc/pve/openvz/<ct-id>.conf manually it should work. This is not too complicate, the structure of that kind of file is easy to understand when you create an example.

Maybe somebody else has a better idea and knows a way to restore the lost data directly....

kind regards

Mr. Holmes

Thank you for your feedback Mr Holmes.

With "Problems" you mean that you cannot restore the CTs?
I had failed because proxmox GUI wasn't shown the templates. After read proxmox gui don't show files on storage, and perform downgrade of libpve-access-control:
Code:
apt-get libpve-access-control=3.0-6

it was possible to create a new CT and cp configuration files, as suggested by you. This approach works fine.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!