CPU Units

P

porkchop

Can anyone explain the "CPU Units" In a VM configuration? What is a "unit" and how many of 'em do we need? In the attached image we see a value of 120050 - what does this mean? Is it a default value, and if so, how much "bang" for our CPU "buck" does this get us?

Asking the question another way:
Is there a way to obtain the total CPU cycles available for a host machine? Under those circumstances we would do a "back of the envelope" calculation as to how many of those CPU cycles to assign to any given VE.

(Example: a dual quad core 2.50 GHz Xeon machine CPU has 8 cores available, how many CPU cycles is that in total?)

Also:
In our "virtual machines" display, the CPU usage of all our VM's stands at zero. But ssh'ing into a particular vm shows - of course - that it is using CPU. Surely the interface can't be failing to grab utilization? If it turned out that it is failing to do so, how could we correct this? (assumption: we've done something wrong somewhere)

I'm wondering if these two are, broadly speaking, in some way connected.

Regards & TIA,
-Porky

Attachments

• cpu_units.png
    cpu_units.png
    11.1 KB · Views: 269
Can anyone explain the "CPU Units" In a VM configuration? What is a "unit" and how many of 'em do we need? In the attached image we see a value of 120050 - what does this mean? Is it a default value, and if so, how much "bang" for our CPU "buck" does this get us?

Asking the question another way:
Is there a way to obtain the total CPU cycles available for a host machine? Under those circumstances we would do a "back of the envelope" calculation as to how many of those CPU cycles to assign to any given VE.

(Example: a dual quad core 2.50 GHz Xeon machine CPU has 8 cores available, how many CPU cycles is that in total?)

Also:
In our "virtual machines" display, the CPU usage of all our VM's stands at zero. But ssh'ing into a particular vm shows - of course - that it is using CPU. Surely the interface can't be failing to grab utilization? If it turned out that it is failing to do so, how could we correct this? (assumption: we've done something wrong somewhere)

I'm wondering if these two are, broadly speaking, in some way connected.

Regards & TIA,
-Porky

See https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/4643/
(before asking questions its always a good idea to search the forum)

Last edited by a moderator:
See http://www.proxmox.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4643
(before asking questions its always a good idea to search the forum)

Thank you for the quick response.
For whatever it's worth, I always search before posting on any forum. Maybe this time I used the wrong keywords. If so - sorry!! :eek:

The second point in my post remains however. Our virtual machines list all display CPU utilization of zero. Why might this be, and what can we do to correct it?

-Porky

Can anyone explain the "CPU Units" In a VM configuration? What is a "unit" and how many of 'em do we need? In the attached image we see a value of 120050 - what does this mean?

Means that this vm is not created on proxmox ve? By default we use a value of '1000'.

- Dietmar

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!