CPU/RAM hot plugging with KVM

ohmer

Mar 2, 2010
Hello,

I'm experimenting CPU and RAM hot plugging with KVM.

I can add or remove RAM from a running VM. It works great! I have read that reducing RAM is not supposed to work, but all worked at the first try. Maybe I read outdated articles? (tested with proxmox 4.3, ubuntu 16.04 guest)

I can also set vCPU on a running VM. Seem to work too. But I can't change the number of cores.

I'm confused about the difference between cores and vCpu settings.

Right now, my VMs are configured with a specific number of cores. This is with that settings I'm limiting the number of cpu the guest can see/use.

Host is running dual-cpu quadcore with HT (2x4x2 = 16 cpu seen by the OS). What is the difference between theses two settings?

- 1 socket, 4 cores, undef vCpu
- 1 socket, 16 cores, 4 vCPUs

Thanks!

Great that ram unplug is working for you. I'll retest with last ubuntu. Maybe some improvements has been done.

About cpus:

socket-cores define the topology and sockets*cores = the max vcpus the can have.
By default the vms has always all vcpus.

Vcpus= the current number of cores "online". You can add hotplug them or unplug them (unplug is since qemu 2.7, you need to do last updates from last week)

So my two examples are equivalents? 1 socket, 4 cores, undef vCpu == 1 socket, 16 cores, 4 vCPUs

I have read that reducing RAM is not supposed to work, but all worked at the first try. Maybe I read outdated articles? (tested with proxmox 4.3, ubuntu 16.04 guest)

Doesn't work anymore.. strange!

Do I understand correctly that running NUMA should help me add and remove resources more efficiently?

My host - 1 socket / 8 cores.

I have 4 VM's with Debian 10
- socket 1
- cores 8
- vCPU 1
- CPU limit 8
- NUMA enabled
- CPU units (what does it mean?) 1024
Cores summary: 8

I don't know how it is possible that with 8 cores I can have 4 (vm) X8 (cores).

The question is that I can manage RAM but core changes won't go through despite:
- qemu-guest-agent running
- HotPlug activated

None of the attempts to change the number of cores for the VM's work.

What could be wrong?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!