Converting from freenas to proxmox

chrisdc

Aug 2, 2020
Hi,

I've been reading around the forums and am willing to convert my freenas server to proxmox.
But I still have questions about how to continue this process.

I figured out that I can easily import my zpool from freenas into proxmox.
But for the jails that I'm running in freenas, should I run them as a docker in a linux container (no need for a vm I suppose?) (I'm running plex, sonarr, radarr, sabnzbd, clamav and transmission)
I'm also thinking about adding pfsense as a vm, but that's for the future.

My current setup:
* freenas os on 2 ssd's (in mirror)
* jails/plugins running on 1 ssd and 1 nvme (mirror)
* datatank with several datasets (6x 4tb hdd's)

I was thinking that during the install I could install proxmox on 1 of the ssd's (that currently host the freenas os)
install vm's on the ssd (that currently host the jails/plugins) and import the datatank zfs pool.

I'm not sure if i'll need to install freenas as a VM or not, since i'm only using snapshots, sftp, smb, nfs and timemachine backups as services.

Steps that I'll be doing/following:
install proxmox
configure network etc..
import zpool
install linux containers for the services I want and configure them
(if needed to install freenas as vm, I'd install freenas instead of the linux containers and enable pci passthrough for the HBA)

future install pfsense:
https://docs.netgate.com/pfsense/en/latest/virtualization/virtualizing-pfsense-with-proxmox.html

Am I missing something or if you have tips/tricks they're always welcome!

thanks in advance!

But for the jails that I'm running in freenas, should I run them as a docker in a linux container (no need for a vm I suppose?) (I'm running plex, sonarr, radarr, sabnzbd, clamav and transmission)
You could just use the Linux equivalent and set up LXC containers as you did set up jails. If you want to run them in docker, you could do so in LXC containers, but AFAIK the safer and less problematic way to run docker is inside VMs.

I'm not sure if i'll need to install freenas as a VM or not, since i'm only using snapshots, sftp, smb, nfs and timemachine backups as services.
If you don't need any migration of services between nodes you because you only have one, you can set up NFS and SMB shares directly on the PVE node. For that it can be regarded as a regular Debian based distribution. Some people like to install FreeNAS as VM and pass through an HBA controller via PCI for direct disk access. I personally find this setup a bit too complicated for just a few network shares.

Thanks @aaron for the reply and useful information.

The rest of the steps I described is correct I suppose? (I don't want to loose any data, it's all backupped but still..)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!