Convert subvol disk to raw disk ?

michaelj

Jun 30, 2016
Hi all,

I would like to know if it's possible to convert "subvol root disk" to "raw root disk" for a container ?

Or is there an option to backup my container with subvol root disk in a raw format ?

Or is there an option to restore my backup of a container with subvol root disk in a raw format ?

Regards.

If you use ZFS (subvol suggests this), you need to create a filesystem and mount it as a directory in PVE.

storage.png

Then you can backup your container and restore it to the storage (type directory):

restore.png
Then you'll end up with a RAW file, that cannot be formatted, you to an error 144 while creating the filesystem. That's sad. I already filed a bug report (1437).

Hi LnxBil,

Thanks for your feedback.

Let me explain to you all the steps.

I've upgraded PM 3.4 to 4.2 a few month ago, so i had to convert openvz CT to lxc CT.

Due to performance issue during restoration container, i've posted : https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/high-wait-io-after-and-load-average-upgrade-to-proxmox-4.25128/ .

So i've (re)restored all my openvz backup on PM 4.2 with this option : --rootfs local:0 in order to avoid bad performance.

Now i would like to know if its possible to convert an lxc backup containing subvol disk format to a raw image because i don't have anymore openvz backup for my container, only in lxc format.

I don't know if i'm clear ?

Regards.

Now i would like to know if its possible to convert an lxc backup containing subvol disk format to a raw image because i don't have anymore openvz backup for my container, only in lxc format.

A backup consists of files without any filesystem (for LXC), so you can restore it whereever you want and this is completely indenpendent of a filesystem.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!