Container w/ mount point snapshots

sienar

Jul 19, 2017
I'm curious if anyone knows of a workaround to allow snapshots on a container with a folder path added as a mount point? Maybe I've chosen the wrong way to accomplish the task. I want to have a host zfs dataset/filesystem accessible inside multiple containers and be able to snapshot the containers, but I don't care about the mount point being included in the snapshot.

Here is an example of how I have the zfs dataset mount point in the container config:
Code:
mp0: /tank/zfsdataset/dataset2/dataset3,mp=/storage

I had to add this mount point from the command line because the GUI does not allow to add a host folder as a mount point, at least not that I could figure out how to do. This is the command I used:

Code:
pct set 103 -mp0 /tank/zfsdataset/dataset2/dataset3,mp=/storage

Agreed. I'm at least relieved it's not just me being crazy on this one.

I don't get it, because when you make a backup with stop, it automatically excludes the mount point. Why can't snapshot do that?

Fabian, thanks for the heads up, I'll keep an eye out for the feature in an update!

Another thing I've noticed while trying to figure out a workaround for this above issue was that the GUI backup capability only allows storing a single backup of a CT. I've learned the command prompt can allow for pretty much an arbitrary number and will even prune old backups. Any chance the GUI backup controls are planned to be enhanced to expose more of the underlying capabilities?

Another thing I've noticed while trying to figure out a workaround for this above issue was that the GUI backup capability only allows storing a single backup of a CT. I've learned the command prompt can allow for pretty much an arbitrary number and will even prune old backups. Any chance the GUI backup controls are planned to be enhanced to expose more of the underlying capabilities?

you can do more than one backup of a guest on the GUI (if the storage is configured to allow more than one!) and even setup backup schedules (these are on the datacenter level on the GUI)

Reactions: sienar
you can do more than one backup of a guest on the GUI (if the storage is configured to allow more than one!) and even setup backup schedules (these are on the datacenter level on the GUI)

You are absolutely right! I hadn't noticed the max backups attribute in storage settings or the different backup capabilities at the Datacenter level. Thanks again for the additional info! I'm learning tons about Proxmox migrating my home Hyper-V environment over to it, and I'm really liking it the more I learn about it.

Instead of creating a new post I figured I would revive this one. From what I see in the bugzilla report, being able to snapshot a container while excluding a the mount point is not possible?

Are there any workarounds for this other than shutting down the container, removing the mount point, snapshotting, remounting the mount point, and then starting the container back up?

I'm using several container with mount point to give access to a local filesystem. It would be really helpful to be able to take snapshots of these containers. I think one could use a similar logic as for backup (i.e. snapshot=0 as option for the mount point in the container's config file).

Marco

since my last update of Proxom I have the same issue.
Backup is not running due to snapshot issues.

How can exclude a mount point from snapshots?

Thanks
Markus

I agree! Having the same issue! Would be great to be able to take Snapshots while having external mount points!

I realise that running Proxmox Backup server with LXC's is a little pointless because mountpoints make me use suspend mode, slowing down the entire backup....... Is this still being looking into? I'd like snapshots for LXC's with mountpoints

Just an update, until Proxmox changes their mind about bindmounts inside an LXC for causing it to suspend and do a slow zdump (making Proxmox Backup Server real slow), the whole point of PBS is to speed up backups. Only plus side is the smaller backup size.
I think going forward, I will make a privileged container and mount CFIS/NFS, which I believe gets around the inefficient backup process for bindounts on LXC's.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!