Container vs VM

Jochen

Jun 13, 2018
Im running a smb share on a container and on a vm and the container is much faster in terms of transfering files to the share and from it back to my PC. Is there any way to improve the speed of the vms so they match the one from the container? Im using proxmox 5.2 and everything is done on the same SSD.

Is the SMB share within the VM running on a virtual disk or passed through? If it's virtual then perhaps you need to look at your caching policies.

Sounds like a virtual disk. Modify the caching policies of the disk to writeback and see if that helps.

Thats not depending on disk/cache. We using here also NFS in KVM with over 800MB/s on 10Ggigabit. SMB is the problem and the kernel you are using with. On the lxccontainer you are using the PVEkernel. What OS/Kernel you are using in the VM? For a wile i have done some tests with SMB. And there were really big differences between the kernels in Ubuntu 16.04. 35MB/s and 95MB/s on Gigabit.

Thats not depending on disk/cache. We using here also NFS in KVM with over 800MB/s on 10Ggigabit. SMB is the problem and the kernel you are using with. On the lxccontainer you are using the PVEkernel. What OS/Kernel you are using in the VM? For a wile i have done some tests with SMB. And there were really big differences between the kernels in Ubuntu 16.04. 35MB/s and 95MB/s on Gigabit.

You noticed ~60MB/s difference in SMB across kernel versions? Something is terribly misconfigured if that's the case. Perhaps driver issues?

Also, if he is copying to the VMs virtual disk then it still may be caching policies.

I have never had a problem in flooding gigabit usually between 105 and 120MB/s on any host in the last at least 5 years. This is including VMs on Virtualbox, ESXi and KVM.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!