Confused about setting up network

Lee Work

Oct 1, 2014
Hello everyone, I am new here :)

I have a problem or an just confused. I am trying to simply add IP's to the virtual machines, but I want proxmox to use a dhcp server that is not inside of proxmox I want it to use the one on my router, then later I will map static IP's to the local IP's. Or is there a better way of doing this?

On my router I have the option to map the static ip's, but it will only let me map them to devices on that LAN.

Here is my interfaces

#network interface settings
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet dhcp < I Put DHCP here but it didn't work
iface eth1 inet dhcp
iface eth2 inet dhcp
iface eth3 inet dhcp
auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 192.168.1.100
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.254
bridge_ports eth0
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

Thank you for any help it is much appreciated, if anymore information is needed just let me know, also using proxmox 3.3.

Nornally, one would use this config on the host:

Code:
# HOST network interface settings
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
   address  192.168.1.100
   netmask  255.255.255.0
   gateway  192.168.1.254
   bridge_ports eth0
   bridge_stp off
   bridge_fd 0

And the following inside a VM:

Code:
#VM network interface settings
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet dhcp

Hi thanks for replying, will this make the VM's use my routers dhcp server? I can't even see the proxmox host in my lan but I can ping and SSH to it.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!