Confused about new network scheme

vzfanatic

Jul 22, 2008
Hi,

I'm a bit embarrassed to admit it but I'm not quite following the way that networking is done with LXC containers.

It doesn't make sense to me that i should have to setup an ethernet network setting for each ip. why can't i define a range of ips that should be allocated to that container? i've tried to subnet the ip range down by adding /29 and /30 but it doesn't work. i'm unsure if i should use a different gateway or if i should use the main gateway (.1).

for example, if i setup 192.168.1.20/30 shouldn't that give the container 2 ips? at the moment the only lucj i've had is to add multiple interfaces and give each one an ip and it has to be /24 subnet and i dont think this is right.

also, if i want to use vlan, do i have to already set the vlan up in my switch or will it work just setting it in the server container interface.

i've used proxmox a lot of years so i dont think i'm a noob, but i really am having a hard time with this network stuff.

i would really appreciate some examples of how to assign multiple ip's to one interface in a container (debian, not a kvm) and also a working example of a vlan.

thank you all very much.

for example, if i setup 192.168.1.20/30 shouldn't that give the container 2 ips? at the moment the only lucj i've had is to add multiple interfaces and give each one an ip and it has to be /24 subnet and i dont think this is right.

please read up on cidr notations.

When you allocate 192.168.1.20/30 to a LXC,

you basically do the same as
ip: 192.168.1.20
netmask: 255.255.255.252

You DO NOT allocate an IP-Range of 192.168.1.20 - 192.168.1.23, but that is rather the the IP's that can be reached from said specific IP because of the subnet you set.

If you want to assign 2 separate iP's via the GUI you need to create 2 separate vNics for the container. Make sure you use the right "/" for the subnet you use. Normally that is "/24", less if you have more then 254 Clients on the same subnet.

If you need help having that translated to oldschool notations. here is a calculator for you:
http://www.subnet-calculator.com/cidr.php

Last edited:
Thanks for answering.
I had tried subnetting it using the CIDR before posting.

for example, if in the network i assign 192.168.0.228/30 i can't ping 192.168.0.229 or .230 from the host. even if i change the mask to /24 i can't ping.

should i be breaking the network down by vmbr instead?

well, what type of IP is it ??

is it a isp provided IP ?
Or is it a home/company based IP ?

If its the latter, have a look at what your IP /subnet your other machines have set. then just replicate that for the IP/CIDR

e.g. 192.168.2.33 255.255.255.0 --> 192.168.2.33/24

then set the proper gateway for your machine if your home-router is at .200, then your gateway would be 192.168.2.200.

Then make sure you you set a DNS-Server.
If that is e.g. your home-router, then use 192.168.2.200, else use.your.ISP.DNSserver or the google dns at 8.8.4.4 or 8.8.8.8

Not sure what exactly you are trying to do, that fails.

Last edited:
It's a class c from the isp. i'd like to assign 16 of the ips from the class c to this server, but when i enter the cidr /28 i can't ping the virtual server. we have a dns server in the class c and im using it.

the same would apply. Generally,

You assign each IP of the /28 separately. You then use the appropriate gate-way (depends on ISP config) to connect the IP.

Some ISP's like e.g. ovh work with vMacs, so you go into their Robot, assign that IP to a vMac, then go into proxmox and assign that vMac as Mac to a network device.
some ISP's make you use your hosts IP as a gateway.
Some ISP's make you use a specific Gateway on their network.
Some ISP's make you use a specific IP on the subnet (e.g. .1 or .254)

check your isp's documentation, without knowing how they do it, i cannot even begin to troubleshoot this :)

i have to create an eth device for each ip? what's the point of CIDR if i have to add a eth device for each ip?
i have one gateway (.1) and a switch without any vlans on it.

yes, you create a vNic for every IP of the subnet that has been assigned to you.

Cidr is just a "language" to describe whats going on.

i could say 10.2.0.1 255.0.0.0
or i could say 10.2.0.1/8

quick question, which ISP you with ?

Last edited:
I was just wondering, so i could look up their "way" in their documentation. Typically they have a section where they explain which "way" they use.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!