Communication between pve and remote pbs

g0rck

Jun 17, 2020
Hello,

I needed to add a pbs-type storage to a pve cluster to launch a series of long-term file backups, but where the pbs itself is, I have no way of setting up a VPN.

If the communication between pvs <-> pbs is over the Internet (without any type of VPN) and in the firewall I enable communication to the pbs through port 8007 from the source IP of pve, the pvs <-> communication would be encrypted or not ?.

I just don't know how pvs communicates with pbs and vice versa and if it includes encryption.

Thanks and greetings

If the communication between pvs <-> pbs is over the Internet (without any type of VPN) and in the firewall I enable communication to the pbs through port 8007 from the source IP of pve, the pvs <-> communication would be encrypted or not ?.
Yes, communication is encrypted. You just add an additional attack vector when making your PBS management public. So you might want to enable 2FA, set up fail2ban and so on for additional security.

Last edited:
Yes, communication is encrypted. You just add an additional attack vector when making your PBS management public. So you might want to enable 2FA, set up fail2ban and so on for additional security.
Thanks for the response, I appreciate it.

Actually, I do add an attack vector but I am really publishing the pbs administration to the internet, but as long as the origin is the public output IP of the pve, if it is not blocked.

Still, I appreciate the advice, and although I already have 2fa active I am also going to try fail2ban, I have already used it in some other environment but never with pve or pbs.

Thanks and greetings

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!